Hello from Katy, Tx

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
New here and looking forward to reading and learning more about hunting the pigs. I am fortunate to have two places I am able to hunt hogs. One is in deep east Texas near Toledo Bend and the other is just south of Choke Canyon reservoir an hour or so south of San Antonio. Both places are thick with hogs. I am still refining my night hunting tactics. We normally hunt at night over bait using rifle mounted LED lights. We use a one shot, one hog approach and harvest most of what we kill. I am not interested in using big $$ night vision and wiping out entire sounders with semi auto's just for the heck of it. We also strive to make a one shot kill with little or no suffering on the hogs part. My gun of choice is a Savage .270 Trophy Hunter with Bushnell 3x9x40 and green LED. I will share my tactics and results to add to the wealth of info available here.

-John

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to LSB

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice to have ya.

Plenty of info and all kinds of different hunters around here.

Depending on the property I am either hunting pigs to help land owner with population control (reduce damaged crops and such) or land management to increase the food supply for the native species like WT deer.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome. I'm near u by the galleria. Maybe we can meet up at American shooting center sometime

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
howdy

dwa

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome....there is a good bunch of knowledgable guys running this site. That's why all types of pig hunting discussion is welcomed.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Welcome. I'm located on Sam Rayburn not far from Toledo Bend.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Nice to have ya.

Plenty of info and all kinds of different hunters around here.

Depending on the property I am either hunting pigs to help land owner with population control (reduce damaged crops and such) or land management to increase the food supply for the native species like WT deer.

I understand. Those are both good reasons to take hogs in large numbers. I'm interested in reading about your tactics

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
where are you guys around lunch time?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
during the week?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cinco, we approach the hogs on our lease much the same way as you, have been killing them like that here for the last 5 years, green light AR in 6.8, lost of fun. We manage them as a hunting resource. When we are eradicating for famers it is a different approach...

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great. I'm currently looking for acreage to purchase in that general area to hunt as well as build on at some point. Maybe I could invite you along on one of our night hunt weekends just outside of Hemphill.
I would love to. I live between Pineland and Broaddus. We go to Hemphill regularly.