Hay and Hogs

Swine Slayers

LSB Member
I hunt on some property that is preparing to start planting hay. Hay isn't normal for the hogs in this area and wondered how much they will actually eat it or tear it up and what part of the planting the hay would they most likely start? As in as soon as its planted, when its starts growing or all of the above?

Not sure if wild hogs actually eat hay or not...

Thanks fir the advice..

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
they will eat any hay that makes a head such as wheat, sudan, higear, so on. however they dont eat coastal bermuda much. They do root in it to get at grubs.

Colby

Central Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It all depends on the situation. As early as it is I would assume they are going to be planting coastal sprigs. To early for haygrazer and sudan grasses. Hogs root the same spots over and over so if they plowed it and wanted to plant it because the hogs tore it up, well they're gonna do it again. I have a spot in one of our hay meadows we have to plow and smooth out every single year because they tear it up in the fall. If hogs aren't really a problem as in causing damage in your area then you probably won't have a problem. I'm sure if they're there though they will be nosing around in it after it's planted.