Hard Luck Coyote, Hard luck Hunt, Lucky Hogs

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I showed up in Bosque County and the landowner forgot I was coming and left the livestock in the pasture where the hogs are often found. He really didn't want me hunting there, being afraid that there may be some confusion of calves and hogs in the taller grass. I assured him that I would do most of my hunting elsewhere but would check the field before I left and if there were hogs, that I would get very close before shooting. That sounded fine to him and so I set up to watch the hay field that had been cut a few days earlier and the hay left in windrows. The hogs often transit the field so I figured my chances were still pretty good.

I set out the caller and got immediate activity - raccoons. Then a coyote popped up and the 2nd issue of the evening occurred. When I went to turn on the recorder, I turned it off. I realized it at the time and turned it back on, but that messed up the boot sequence on the recorder and so I did not record the shot.

Cool Coyote! It was another really messed up coyote. It had mange. It had open bleeding wounds (probably from the mange). And it had only 3 feet. The left hind foot had been cut off and the foot fully healed.

Did find hogs down with the cattle and horses. The wind and moon did not help me and I got busted long before I go close enough to make a promised close shot. :mad:

Here is the video...

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That is one vile-nasty varmint... thankfully, out of his misery. I'll bet he smelled precious!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shot on the coyote! Definitely looked like it was suffering.

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Indeed, good to put that one down.
And, even if no hogs were harmed in the making of this video, it was still interesting!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was awesome!