Hard earned hog

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A buddy of mine called last week and said he would pay me to shoot hogs. BRD, Sean Cody and I went to his place. Nada,

Last night I go back by myself. When I get there I spot a hog right off the bat, I stalk in and get set up on the sticks. I got a snick. Failure to chamber. I finally get the round out of my filthy chamber and stalk again. you guessed it, snick again. I get one in the chamber by locking the bolt back and dropping it. I had not been riding the charging handle, but this seemed to work. I sneak in one more time and shoot him in the neck. Straight down and a few kicks, As I walk up he lifts his head. I shoot him again and he gets up! Now I'm on protection mode, I shoot him twice in the side and he comes my way, Four more rounds later he is down. I need to weigh him, but you will find out why I did not later in the story,

Later I see what I thought were cows in the feed pen, I go over and it is 10 hogs, All are over 200 pounds, I pick one out and shoot it, It ran into a creek bottom to be found later,

I decide to check another area and was driving the Ranger using my PVS14. I ran into a fence and broke my left hand, I take the Ranger back and Peta Steve called to check up on me, He tells me where the hospital is located and I head there,

I missed my turn and stuck my truck in a ditch. Steve came over at midnight and pulled my dumbass out, I did not make any money on this trip. LOLIMGP0604.JPG

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OH NO what a disaster, how are you doing, talk about bad luck. What are you shooting? Surely not a 6.8.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No Frank I'm still using 5.56 at night. He is bigger than I thought and the 60 grain BT blew. I'm okay, just having to type with one hand,

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
No Frank I'm still using 5.56 at night. He is bigger than I thought and the 60 grain BT blew. I'm okay, just having to type with one hand,
Is that the only thing you are doing with one hand?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
is the PETA cooler ok?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a heck of an adventure! I keep telling folks to use something bigger than a 556 for hogs! Truck OK??

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I was going to give you trouble for taking so long to write the story about your 2 kills. Now I feel bad about even considering giving you a hard time. Well, that's over....I don't feel bad anymore. Nice job, but I will think twice about going hunting with you. I can't afford to start breaking bones at my age.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yer just a pile of fun. "Butt?" Is it better than a poke in the butt with a knife? (I would guess "no") Nice hog.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ouch! Good job on the hogs, but what a price to pay! I hooe you heal up quick and get back after them.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey RD, at least the Hog did not come after him with a knife!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang... Thats one expensive hog. At least ya got em. Hope all is well with the hand.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It was all good, I had a great time before the hand got broke. Thanks for your concerns, No damage to the truck. That would have made the night complete. Come on chopper we will have some fun, and maybe a bill or two, lol

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You just cant put a price on Hog killin. Perfect night. Good Job!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And Rat I did not get cut this time. I'm my own adventure!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sorry man. Hope your hand heals up quickly

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
In all seriousness, thanks for the story. There is a lot of fun there and a lot of good lessons. Glad you got your hogs and glad that the consequences are only minor.

Besides, think of all the nice people you got to meet at the hospital!