Group Hunt/Gear Review Weekend in Limestone County

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A group of us got together to look at thermal scopes and then do a little hog hunting at TLM's secret lair in Limestone County. The first hurdle was actually getting everyone to the location. There was some confusion because as you know from comic book stories, secret lairs are hard to find. There was no address, just GPS coordinates and somewhat challenging directions. We all eventually arrived, got squared away in delux single, double, and triple occupancy suites, and departed for dinner at a local hot spot in town where everyone got to known one another and we made plans for how the weekend would progress.

After dinner, headed back to the house to get the gear together for testing and spent the next several hours. The weather was unseasonably cool, but the humidity was quite high, but it sure beat the heck out of it still being in the upper 90s. Testing was concluded, so back to the house to gear up to hunt.

In all, there were 5 of us going out to hunt, traveling in two vehicles, TLM leading with Mike as he knew the way. We drove blacked-out. On this evening, I was the passenger in hdfireman's vehicle, sitting in the front passenger seat. He was driving with NODs. It was VERY DARK outside, overcast, and humid. Visibility was not good. I was using a thermal spotter and Delta4-3 was seating behind me using both NV and thermal to look out his window. As I was using thermal, I could not see squat through the windshield and basically spent the entire evening (while driving) simply expecting to die in some sort of firey collision with some unseen object. My confidence was not bolstered by hdfireman's repeated rants of not being able to see very well during different parts of our convoluted tour. It was also no help to us that TLM showed a regular liking to stopping short. It was really really dark throughout all of the night.

Barely 10 minutes after leaving the house, we were into a field and TLM has spotted the first target maybe 200-250 yards out along this dirt road bordered by high vegetation that was over waist high in many areas. The target was recognized as a hog not because of all of the technology we were using, but because it was a thermal return in a field where there were no farm animals and its size and behavior were indicative of being hog-like. To make matters worse, the target visibility was ever-changing, blurring in and out as we “stealthily” approached on foot. The issue with visibility stemmed from the high vegetation on each side of the car path and vegetation in the car path.

Okay, so it wasn't a stealthy approach. We were fairly quite, but there were some issues with the long approach to the shooting spot because 5 people, 3 rifles, 3 sets of shooting sticks, 2 others shooting video, getting feet tangled in the high grass, stepping into low spots that turned out to be puddles several inches deep of very slick mud. That all 5 participants arrived on 2 feet, was quite frankly, a bit of a miracle. To make matters worse, the whole group moved in an irregular formation where we tried not to collide with one another in the dark (some had NVDs, others did not) along with the caterpillar action of stopping and starting where the group would bunch up as the leader stopped to get a better visual of the hog and then the group would string out again when the leader restarted.

We came to a stopping point where the hog could be seen well enough on thermal and it was determined that we would do a group shot from this spot. After changing postions a couple of times, I determined that I was not going to be able to get a good shot because I was using digital NV and most of the hog was blocked by grass and such. This was a much better shooting situation for those using thermal scopes.

Everyone got setup and a countdown was made and shots were fired. Mike was using TLM's 6.8 with the W1000, and hdfireman with a 6.8. The hog squealed, thrashed about, and disappeared off of the road. We waited a short amount of before making the approach to find the hog. It had only gotten a few yards of the road, but had been spined and hdfireman deliver the coup de grace shot with a suppressed pistol.

TLM pointed out that we had been headed in this direction to check on one of the pig barrels that was only a short distance further up the road. So we continued out stealthy approach on foot until we reach the shrub-covered fence area that separated us from the field with the pig barrel. By this time, hogs had been spotted through the open gate entry and it was determined that we would get just inside the gate, set up and take our shots. This was a great general plan without all the necessary specific details.

If not for the noise of the local gas well operations, I am certain we would have been noticed sooner as there was a certain amount of clinking from the various gear and shooting sticks as we tried to set up and get situated, not to mention discussions as to how things would proceed. At some point it was noted that the hogs had taken notice of the IR lights being used to film and coming from my rifle. Mike asked who was shooting which hog, but I don't think that was ever resolved.

The group consisted of 4 or 5 hogs (4 seen in the video) of which there was one large one, two mediums, and a small one. Scale is relative.
The countdown was made and shots were fired. Mike's hog went down with the first shot and the only shot he claimed to have made during the event. hdfireman fired at the largest hog. I also fired at the largest hog soon thereafter. At that point, hogs ran in multiple directions.

One smaller wounded hog ran to the right. The smallest unshot hog disappeared (at least as far as I was concerned), and the large boar took off to the left. As I was on the left side of the group I tracked the large hog and fired one shot that I thought was my second and final shot. Somewhere in the process, hdfireman also tracked to large hog and put a shot into it as well, but it disappeared over the top of the hill and out of view.

When everything was settled, Mike was quite happy. His hog was down. We searched for the two wounded hogs with no luck. Pictures were taken and we made the long hike back to the vehicles, again slogging through the high grass and mud, thinking that it was no longer cool that evening as the hike back was largely up hill and it was quite humid.

The next few hours of the evening were spent driving all over the area and finding absolutely no hogs. So we returned to the lair where two of the three videos of the last event were compared. The next day, Delta4-3's video of it was also examined. This is where it gets interesting when folks recollect events.

Mike who was certain that he fired only one shot and down one hog had actually been on the ball. He saw the wounded smaller hog take off to the right, track it, and put a shot through its shoulders before it disappeared into the tree/fence line. The question remained as to who shot the hog because it was not targeted.

Turns out, I apparently shot the small hog as it was slightly blocking the view of the large hog. That shot may have gone through the small hog into the larger hog. Not only had I fired that shot and one followup on the running hog, but a second on the running hog, though I had no recollection of it.

hdfireman is confident that he scored one or two hits on the large running hog as well.

Based on looking at the videos and talking to participants, it would appear that of the two hogs that ran, the smaller one was hit two times and the larger one was hit 3-5 times and both hogs disappeared under their own power.

A followup search the following day revealed no signs of either lost hog, though circling buzzards from the adjoining property indicated the possibility that one of them was deceased not too far away, probably the smaller of the two.

The rest of the day was spent discussing various NV and thermal scopes, re-examining our the thermal scopes under review and looking more closely at specific features, discussing hunting issues, and then the general BS and socializing that comes from having too much free time on the weekend.

Last edited by a moderator:

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Day II's hunt started well after dark and put us on the hogs just about as quickly. Again the weather was nice and cool, but the cloud cover was gone and the humidity as lower than the previous evening.

Hogs were spotted through the open gate to the pig barrel area where hogs had been killed the previous night. As the hogs were milling back and forth across the front opening of the gate, in and out of view, we attempted to approach to get a better visual vantage, but the hogs were just too close to the opening and so we set up back from the gate.

Again the approach to the area had been along a long, muddy road with high grass. While we tried to move efficiently and quietly, our group had become strung out and I was late in arriving. The goal was to shoot after a countdown. As I was finishing the getting set up and turned on my illuminator, TLM said that the hogs were starting to run and dropped a sow inside the gate area. We briefly saw hogs running across the opening of the get, but in the amount of time the hogs were visible, they were gone before a shot could be made. So when it looked like all the action was over, we approached.

As we came through the gate, TLM spotted hogs, mostly younger hogs/piglets and we set up to shoot them. Everyone starting scanning and I set up on a big hog I saw over to the right side. TLM was saying something about “There they are!” and “See where my laser is pointing.” Then he said something about “They are moving this way” and “They are going to get away” and it dawned on me that my hog was not moving. I was not looking in the right direction.

By the time I swung around and saw the hogs TLM was telling us about, they were about to the fence on the left hand side. I saw one larger (but still small-sized) hog and maybe 3 or 4 piglets. About the time I fired, everybody else started firing. The one larger pig was hit by at least 2 rounds and the piglet was hit by one devastating round. In all, three pigs were taken.

After finishing up photos, we headed off to find more hogs. We did not have any luck at first and had stopped to take a quick break. After the break we continued, but I think it was less than a minute after we started, we came to another stop because of a large singular hog spotted in front of us.

I was not shooting on this hog and missed some of the details. As near as I can recollect, Delta4-3 and TLM were set up to shoot and a countdown was made. At zero, there was a very loud CLICK and the sound of somebody working the action of their rifle and then the shooting started. In the process, the hog took off running but was dropped. TLM and Delta4-3 or hdfireman can probably fill in the details further as to who exactly hit what during that fusillade.

TLM's “CLICK” was a failure to fire because of a contaminated primer used in one of his reloads.

A quick approach was made to the large hog that was down, but obviously still alive. hdfireman emptied his silenced pistol into the hog and a final unsuppressed shot was made to its head and it was finally down for the count. It had absorbed considerable damage before finally succumbing.

As with the previous evening, several more hours were spent searching for hogs with no luck, so we returned to the lair for decompressing from the weekend's events. The next several hours were spent discussing the various problems of the world, telling stories, and coming to grips with what we had wanted to accomplish, had accomplished, and how it should have been accomplished. Okay, never mind the serious stuff. We just blew off steam until the sun was about to come up.

The next morning, we all abandoned TLM by about 9:00 am. The weather had been great. Looking at gear had gone well. Hunting had been successful. No equipment was lost or damaged. No conflicts had occurred. Aside from egos, nobody was injured. All in all, I would say that this was a very successful given that this group had not participated together previously.

I sincerely hope some of the others will add or correct details I am missing or got wrong. A lot went on and I put this down much longer after a hunt than I would normally do. Plus, I can only provide my perspective.

Some pics can be found here.
http://www.lonestarboars.com/threads/hunting-photos-post-your-pics-here.5/page-23#post-22315
TLM will be adding pics and video soon...

Last edited by a moderator:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a fun time had by all! Is there also going to be a review of the equipment used? Thanks for the write up!!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh my it was a fun weekend but it was the worst conditions for I^2 night vision and thermal I have ever seen! I got down there early Thursday and only hunted a few hours. The clouds were so low my trucks roof rack was touching them, it was one of the strangest and coolest things I have seen. Friday was just as bad which was strange because the temperature was very nice but the humidity was in the 80 percentile during the day and 90 percentile at night. This was hard on the thermals and nv. I have hunted many times with high humidity and never seen the thermals work so poorly. These conditions combined with tall vegetation that was concealing entire cows makes for hard hunting conditions, but the LSB hog strike team still pulled off some kills!

Saturday night Delta 4-3 was riding with me that guy has some stories. We were laughing all night and about three hours into the hunt I asked if he was scanning for hogs?? Both of us were having so much fun BS'ing neither of us in the lead truck had been looking DOH!

After that we just went back to the house and told stories for the rest of the night. My stomach , and ribs are sore today from all the laughing. We finally ended it when someone said look the moon finally broke through only to see it was the sunrise Lol!!!

Great Fun for me and yes Frank there is a gear review coming just clipping the video together and giving the reviewers time to gather their thoughts and write it down.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will point out one thing you will see later in the hunting videos. The I^2 and digital technologies do not pair well on a dark night. Brian's digital scope required a bright Illuminator that had two negative impacts. First it blinded everyone using I^2 until they could adjust their sights or gain. Second it alerted the hogs as Brian writes above we were not very stealthy but the noise from a natural gas compressor covered out approach. But every time he hit that illuminator the hogs either alerted or ran. Of course these are the same hogs I've hunted relentlessly for years now so they are aware. The thermal shooters had no issues with the digital and it's illuminator other than the hogs being alerted thermal and digital hunters should be able to hunt side by side.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A shame better conditions were not available for the gear to shine, but humidity is something we live with daily along the coast so will help somewhat.

A bunch of Military guys and Leo's getting together, nothing better than that! Sorry I missed out! Where is my Shooter? He is an old Vietnam Vet like me, would love to hear from him! I wish we had this type of gear back then!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shooter had to leave early so he missed the hunting but was present for the reviews.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OH NO! Bedtime comes early for us old guys!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Mike for holding up the "OLD" guys!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It was a lot of fun, met Mike and Aaron with Night Combat Solutions(Delta 4-3) and they are stand up dudes. I think the thermal reviews went really well and as far as I know there hasn't been a comparison done like this, at least one never posted and if you don't have pics or video it didn't happen :D. Both nights were the darkest I have ever seen, without NV is was jet black. As TLM said the humidity was extremely high friday night so you will get to see the thermals in the worst of conditions which I think is kinda good when doing a comparison.

Delta4-3

LSB Member
Vendor
Yeah, best work trip...EVER! Great write-up on it too. The only glaring omission I see is the part about me killing a couple sounders with a knife and the 20 or so I smoked on the run with my pistol. I made some good new friends, got plenty of blackmail on Todd and Eric for future use, and so on. I'll regurgitate what HDF said, it was DARK, really really dark. If I had video of him and Brian in the front seat with the dialogue, it would have gone viral by now. Good times!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL @ Brian and well you should have been!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Remember, Brian has that unsettling knowledge of serial killers. Maybe the rest of you should have been afraid to go to sleep first.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
missed it by that much

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Funny side story. Last night I was talking and moving in my sleep. I woke my wife up looking under her pillow for in her words a thermal thingy. Lol