Greetings from Oregon

JeffT

Good to be part of this community. I feel its always best to write a brief introduction when becoming part of new online communities so here is mine.
I'm a 44 year old former grunt and vet of the Gulf War. I come from a long lineage of deer and elk hunters but took up the sport later in life than most of my relatives. I am currently working on my Master Hunters Coarse. Hunting is a very special primal sport to me as I am sure to most others here. I became interested in hog's from my many trips to the Hawaiian Islands and seeing the devastation increase each visit. I own an ATX sight II for night predator hunting but it certainly has its limitations but also some great functions.
I have been following LSB and Ultimate Night Visions channel's for about a year and very much plan to visit the Lone Star State and help out eradicating this destructive invasive species. I am self employed and do alright financially but getting into the thermal world would be a pretty hefty investment but one I am seriously considering.

One of my goals for joining the forum is to gather information to help me determine if the investment is worth it being that I don't live in a state with much hogs and would have to make yearly or bi-annulaly visits to Texas. I don't wish to pay the high price tag of night hunting companies and use their equipment, I prefer self reliance and would not want to only be able to hunt a night or two after a 2 plus day drive. So in short I am seeking information to learn if its a realistic intention to be able to find rancher's or other private properties with permission to hunt for the week. I'm not looking to make a buck or a buisness venture to help the farms and ranchers out but also don't agree with the amount of money many charge often to sit in a hot tin blind waiting to shoot a pig as a feeder only then to be charged per kill when Texas can use all the help they can muster keeping the population down. Hey I am all for capitalism and land owners certainly have the right to charge fee's to allow hunting on their land but I got to think there miust also be some that would appreciate or simply allow the help to stop the damage to their land and crops.

So if I could provide a land owner with evidence of proficiency and safety does anyone think there are land owners open to the idea of outside help cutting down their hog population? I'm not asking to be spoon fed names and locations just some opinions of Texas locals as if this is frowned upon or possible to help me decide if I am wasting my time and money getting a PVS monocular and thermal scope.
Thanks for reading,
Jeff

edited to add- I also have supressors as to not disturb the environment and livestock, ext

Last edited:

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome!

What part of OR?

There is a guy named DJ on this site. Think of him as the creep guy that everyone whispers about. Don't post photos of yourself or any females you care about since he is pretty good with photoshop and you never know where the photos will turn up. Word has it that Pilot Travel Centers have permanently banned him for taping risqué photos of himself in the men's showers. Also, if you get any friend requests from "male lot lizard," please ignore them.

The questions you pose are common amongst those of use that love to hunt. Many hunters on this site are blessed to have access to large parcels of hog infested land. I will defer the feasibility of your questions to them.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray neighbor, and thank you for your service.

D

djones

it's unfortunate that scram had to be your first response. that guy belongs behind bars.

not impossible to find reasonable places to hunt here. you seem stand up and respectful. that should go far with landowners.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I've been able to find a few landowners that allow me to help with the hog problem. It is tough though. I've knocked on a lot of doors and heard no a lot. Doing it from OR will make it even harder. I'm a local and struggle sometimes.

Being a stand up guy and being sincere goes a long way. Offering to help with chores or fix other issues helps too. I live in a smaller town and everyone knows everyone else. I'm the outsider because I'm military and didn't grow up here. It takes time and effort to get in the circle of big landowners around my area. They are all friendly, but sceptacle of strangers.

Remember, their decision to let you hunt isn't only about allowing you to shoot hogs on their place. It is a decision of them trusting you around their livelihood and property. There is a legal concern on their hands too. They've heard stories of people shooting cattle, equipment, etc. Stories of hunters tripping/hurting themselves and then trying to sue the landowner. All sorts of crazy things.

I wish I had positive advice on how to go about finding a local to allow you to hunt without paying. It would be easier if you were in TX. Get here and drive around knocking on doors, talking to people in the feed stores, asking around to people you bump into. It takes time and effort unless you know someone with their foot in the door.

Another option is to use a night vision/thermal guide service. I know a couple who can recommend, but I can't advertise them here. Shoot me a pm if you are interested. They can provide gun, ammo, thermal, land, and will drive you around all night from spot to spot to find pigs. They will also put their thermal scope on your rifle if it is 308 or under. Prices are around $300 a night per person.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Jeff!

"So if I could provide a land owner with evidence of proficiency and safety does anyone think there are land owners open to the idea of outside help cutting down their hog population? I'm not asking to be spoon fed names and locations just some opinions of Texas locals as if this is frowned upon or possible to help me decide if I am wasting my time and money getting a PVS monocular and thermal scope.
Thanks for reading,
Jeff"

NOT gonna happen without in person contact or a referral or a family member with land. These guys are bugged all the time for "free" hunts and use of their land. Too much liability for them, they cannot touch and see and talk to you, you have done noting for them the last 100 folks who asked cannot do and have done noting for them to earn their trust. I have seen some reasonable priced hunt on Security Check Required they also have a for sale group where ads are accepted for hog hunting.

Duffy

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome Jeff! What part of Oregon? I lived in Corvallis and Bend for 11 years.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

JeffT

Thanks to everyone for the warm greetings and one very odd one. This is quite an active forum. I was pleasantly suprised to see this many replies as well as exactly the information I was seeking so again, thank you.
I'm not surprised that seeking permission to hunt on private lands isn't going to be an easy task. Heck, I be pretty weary as a land owner allowing an out of towner to have at it with their black rifles and thermal gear. However since my profession makes it very easy to travel and work just about anywhere in the world I do see another option. Working in an area of or near high hog concentrations and getting to know some locals and them getting to know me might be my best bet. I've always wanted to visit Austin and have some work contacts there so I think Ill explore that route.
Cheers guys,
Jeff

edited to add- And to those that asked I live in portland. Great city but I'm not much of a city fella but until my wife concedes to buying a nice plot of land somehwere It will suffice. Sorry I didn't I fill out my profile with more details. I went ahead and did that tonight.

Last edited:

Cazz

US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hello and welcome. Thank you for your service!

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
edited to add- And to those that asked I live in portland. Great city but I'm not much of a city fella but until my wife concedes to buying a nice plot of land somehwere It will suffice. Sorry I didn't I fill out my profile with more details. I went ahead and did that tonight.

Portland is a beautiful city! I've got family in Kelso/Longview and enjoy my time out there!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks to everyone for the warm greetings and one very odd one. This is quite an active forum. I was pleasantly suprised to see this many replies as well as exactly the information I was seeking so again, thank you.
I'm not surprised that seeking permission to hunt on private lands isn't going to be an easy task. Heck, I be pretty weary as a land owner allowing an out of towner to have at it with their black rifles and thermal gear. However since my profession makes it very easy to travel and work just about anywhere in the world I do see another option. Working in an area of or near high hog concentrations and getting to know some locals and them getting to know me might be my best bet. I've always wanted to visit Austin and have some work contacts there so I think Ill explore that route.
Cheers guys,
Jeff

Now is the time to ask everyone you do know if they know of or have property to hunt hogs on, that is better than going in cold..good luck