Grayson County Hogs

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ZenArchery (Ed) and I got invited to help out a new buddy in Grayson County (texashunter900) who is unable to hunt with a rifle because of a recent injury. We met Mike and his son, Jon, at the property and despite being busted up pretty good in the upper body, nothing was wrong with Mike's legs as he led us on a death march through the ragweed jungle that occupied the lower third of the property. It was still daylight and that is where he said a lot of the hogs like to hang out. Cool. Sniffle, sneeze, blink blink blink.

After going down the "road" to where they were putting in a new fence and the land was somewhat cleared, Mike spied some hogs and we got two of them shot. He then took us on a tour of the ragweed. As I was the last in line, I was walking in a perpetual cloud of ragweed pollen. Ed and Jon suffered most with sinus issues. This morning, Ed is apparently just about blind in one eye with impacted pollen and I am not too far off with my eyes.

After the march through the ragweed, we camped out the rest of the evening watching a hay field. Apparently, the fall is the big season for rooting on the property and what the landowner is concerned about is damage to his fields. However, no hogs came out to visit with us, but we will be back...

Last edited:

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Was that five pounder a dry weight?

There is shooting, and there is hunting.

Down here in Tejas, we tend to confuse the two.

Some throw on $400 of Cabela's camo and sit in an insulated box with their Yeti sippee cup in one hand and iPhone 6 in the other, complaining after four hours that a ten pointer didn't come within sixty yards.

They call it a "bad hunt".

Others slog injured through rough terrain and lung clogging ragweed, and ankle breaking rocks in 97 degree heat and 90% humidity to take out a destructive breeder and hit a moving target the size of that Yeti mug.

I call them "badass".

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
On a hunt last spring, my "friend" shot his .45/70 about 3 feet from my left ear. My ears were ringing for about a week.

That's why I prefer to hunt solo.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fun stuff and fine CSMF could be seen!! Loved it when the big gun went off. Also like seeing the little ones stick around for a little bit!! Nice going guys! BANG BANG!!!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's good to change it up sometimes, it's also nice to breathe freely and not have your head rattled. Still looked like fun!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Many, many moons ago, a very close friend of mine and I planned to go stomping through the woods to see if we could bag a buck. He calls me up to advise that a mutual acquaintance of ours just weaseled his way in to coming along. I was NOT happy with my friend, only because the third wheel was a KNOWN "unknown" (spelled unpredictable) quantity in anything he's involved in... and safety is NOT what he's known for. I told my friend to NOT loan him a LOADED gun.

So... he shows up driving his '68 Eldorado, and managed to kill a skunk before meeting up with us, his car stank pretty bad.

Then... Roy hands him a Marlin .30-30 to borrow (I kept cautioning him to NOT give this boy a loaded gun!!). We ran him through the basics of how the gun operated, made him show us he understood how to load/unload it safely (and how to correctly use it), and we were off. I broke off and followed a game trail to a pond and decided to wait. Pretty soon, I see Roy off to my left. I made eye contact with him and we both knew where the other was. About 20 mins. later... "BOOOM!!!!!" (off to my right). I looked over at Roy and just shook my head. About five minutes later, Roy's giving me that "We'd better go check on him" look. I'm shaking my head in disgust... and off we go.

We find Knucklehead coming our way along the trail, blood dripping from his booger-hook and looking like he'd been caught peeing his pants. Contrary to what we'd instructed him on doing... he chambered a round, had the hammer cocked, booger-hook inside the trigger guard... and, yup.. had a negligent discharge as he was stepping over a log... cutting his booger-hook on the trigger guard when it recoiled. I looked at Roy and repeated my warning... "I TOLD you NOT to give that boy a LOADED gun !!!" (Knucklehead smiled, as if he was being welcomed into a club).

At the end of the day, it was apparent we were done for the day, and I had an itch to fire off a round. We picked a spot across a canyon to shoot at, and as I was getting ready to take aim, Knucklehead moves up... alongside of my muzzle (Remington 700 .30-06)... about 1 foot to the side. I put my rifle down and suggested he move back. Nope, he was insistent to remain where he was and kept telling me to fire away. After a couple of attempts to get him to step back... I leveled on my target and lit one off. Knucklehead proclaims he could hear it zipping across the canyon. I told him he was hearing his ears ringing... NOPE, he HEARD the bullet flying !!!! "Do it AGAIN !!!". (Who am I to deny someone their pleasure?)

Last edited:

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
300 winmag without ear plugs..... Ouch!