good stand choice

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
So I went out with my hunting buddy yesterday to hunt his place in Frio county from 2:30am till 9:00. I was given a choice between two stand both over looking prior peanut fields, but one I am rather fond of as it sits between a commercial milo field which is still in use, and the bedding grounds of the pigs.
We arrive on time and I am hunting by three. It wasn't six minutes and I am hearing pigs in the creek not eighty yards away this goes on all night so I figure from previous hunts they are going to follow the creek and pop out of the creek a couple hundred yards away well out of my sight and the range of my blackout. Turns out I'm wrong at six I hear grunts, I hit my spot light and they are coming out of the creek thirty yards away from my stand I swing around but am surprised When I look through my scope to see nothing but white haze, the fog is so bad I can not see them in my scope then a miracle happens a slight gust blows just enough fog away that I get a sow in my scope I put one in her neck and she's down.IMG_0181.JPG
Day break comes with plenty of fog and deer I am following a doe with my bow am getting ready to draw when I see a dark blob walk out of the creek a hundred yards behind the doe, I realize it's a lone boar,and have a choose between this doe and the hog.

I choose hog I proceed to drop my bow and take off running across the field, about fourty yards away he hears me walking up to him and alerts so I throwing my crosshairs on his shoulder and shoot down he goes. I walk ten yards and he is up and very angry so I put one in his neck he's down or so I think, I walk up to him and am going to stick my barrel in his eye when I see his eyes turn and look at me and with a loud snarl jumps up looking me head on, in my fright I ram my barrel on his throat and pull the trigger this time he drops with a growl and does the curly shuffle for a few minutes, all in all my most memorable hog hunt and a good end to my hunting season.IMG_0180.JPG

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man what a story and what a hunt Nathan! Holy cow that had to be spooky when that sucker got up. When they are big and dangerous listen to Peter Capstick and "pay the insurance". Put one more in em!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice way to get er' done!!! It's good to have one want a piece of you once in a while to keep the blood flowing!

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
Man what a story and what a hunt Nathan! Holy cow that had to be spooky when that sucker got up. When they are big and dangerous listen to Peter Capstick and "pay the insurance". Put one more in em!
I thought for sure he was dead never crossed my mind that 98 percent of the time I kill them they either throw a leg up in the air or do the curly shuffle. It was like he was waiting for me to get to him. I shot him with those same 120 grain hollow points I showed you, the shoulder shot fully penetrated the shield and shoulder blade taking out both lungs, no mushroom on the bullet it just disintegrated inside. All three shots even the point blank did not pass through.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great story and one you will remember...just think instead of the 300wtf using a 6.8 and you would not have the same story!

nathan koepp

Cibolo,TX
Great story and one you will remember...just think instead of the 300wtf using a 6.8 and you would not have the same story!
I like a bit of a challenge 6.8 ruins all the fun, besides why shoot 120 sst's when you can shoot 220 grain subs and punch 30 caliber holes in them.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice write up! Good hogs down, happy hunting!!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice. Congrats on the bonus heart pounding boar! With a doe in the cross hairs I would have taken her. LOL

D

djones

very exciting!! but i would have stuck my arm down his throat and suffocated him

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great hunt Nathan! You will have a lot of fun telling that story over and over for the next year. When people try to call BS,(there will be some who just don't have a clue what we do) just refer them to this site.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good story! Sometimes it is better to be lucky than good, like when the wind blew the fog away for hog # 1.

I take a spear with me when I hunt. I've shot hogs in the head x4 and still not killed them, so why waste the bullets? I bought a $29 dollar spear off Smokey Mt. Knife Works, and it has a sharp 12" blade on it. I jab them a few times with it and they bleed out pretty quickly.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I like to shoot! That's why I hunt. If it takes 35 shots that's 34 times more fun than one shot!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I hope you don't think that exonerated you.