Good Hunt For My Buddy, Chad

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It wasn't my night, but Chad did fine. While waiting on Chad to arrive, spotted a hog. Checked with him and he wasn't going to be there for a while and said for me to go after it. I made a beautiful 190 shot that completely missed. All I can figure is that my bullet got lost in the crosswind.

Chad arrived and an hour or so later saw maybe the same hog in another part of that field and so we pulled in a couple hundred yards down from where it was and while we were busy parking and getting out our gear thinking it was still browsing in the distance, it moved. We got Chad through the fence and he did a quick scan and saw the hog had come the 200 yards in our direction and was immediately down wind of us. I was still in the ROW and told him to go ahead and shoot as I acted as a spotter to make sure the cattle didn't become a problem. Chad did good @ 80 yards.

Later we got onto two coyotes that walked right up on us. We hoped for a double and couldn't ever get both in the clear at the same time. The coyotes moved out into open pasture and we attempted a double. I shot high and Chad connected with his @ 185 yards. We think worked to finish it off.

Otherwise, we didn't see diddly over a 6 hour period.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
So? Has Chad gotten a promotion to drop the "Stupid" moniker... or, is this a different Chad? He done good.
And, even Brian has an off night shooting, I guess you're a mere mortal like the rest of us'ns?
Nice drag. Good stuff.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Naw, that is Stupid Chad. People thought I was being cruel for calling him that, but it is a childhood nickname. It is how I have him listed in my phone! He takes no offense to the name.

I am still miffed about the hog miss. Missing the coyote doesn't bother me at that range. For me, they are a tough target anyway, but that hog should have been mine. The basics really do matter, particularly as the distances get greater.

NYCHOGKILLER

LSB Member
It wasn't my night, but Chad did fine. While waiting on Chad to arrive, spotted a hog. Checked with him and he wasn't going to be there for a while and said for me to go after it. I made a beautiful 190 shot that completely missed. All I can figure is that my bullet got lost in the crosswind.

Chad arrived and an hour or so later saw maybe the same hog in another part of that field and so we pulled in a couple hundred yards down from where it was and while we were busy parking and getting out our gear thinking it was still browsing in the distance, it moved. We got Chad through the fence and he did a quick scan and saw the hog had come the 200 yards in our direction and was immediately down wind of us. I was still in the ROW and told him to go ahead and shoot as I acted as a spotter to make sure the cattle didn't become a problem. Chad did good @ 80 yards.

Later we got onto two coyotes that walked right up on us. We hoped for a double and couldn't ever get both in the clear at the same time. The coyotes moved out into open pasture and we attempted a double. I shot high and Chad connected with his @ 185 yards. We think worked to finish it off.

Otherwise, we didn't see diddly over a 6 hour period.

Yet another excellent and informative video.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Naw, that is Stupid Chad. People thought I was being cruel for calling him that, but it is a childhood nickname. It is how I have him listed in my phone! He takes no offense to the name.

I am still miffed about the hog miss. Missing the coyote doesn't bother me at that range. For me, they are a tough target anyway, but that hog should have been mine. The basics really do matter, particularly as the distances get greater.

We all have off hunts!! Last night I was hunting with a few friends. The first group of hogs that we saw, I lead the stalk and we ended up being successful. 2nd group we saw, I lead the stalk again and kind of blew it!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hunt in my books! Hogs and coyotes died! That’s good news! I may have missed it but what caliber is Chad shooting?

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, crud. I typed it all in but it must have disappeared in editing. Chad was shooting a .308, 110 gr. Nosler Varmageddon @3100 fps (reloads). His thermal is a Pulsar Trail XP38