Good hunt, 252 pound boar

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I was really heading to the lease to make sure my feeders were full and to install solar chargers/batteries on a couple of game camera's. The wind was terrible.

Got to the lease on Sunday early enough to head out to one of my blinds. I kept seeing flashes from inside the blind, I look out the back window, whoa, lightning like crazy. Look at the radar app on my phone, wow, get back to camp NOW. Was only in the stand for 1.5 hours, storm was traveling 35 mph, I barely made it the 3 miles back on my ATV. It was the most incredible lightning storm I have ever seen in my life, one of those butt-pucker storms. It apparently dropped quarter sized hail in some area's.

Monday night I get out, I'm watching the feeder in front of me at 100 yards with the thermal. Out the right window I can see well out in to a neighboring property. At about 9:45 PM I heard grunts, sounds like it was behind me. Winds were 25mph so I was surprised I could hear anything. Then I hear squealing, so I know it isn't a lone boar. Talk about noise, grunts, squealing, etc. I look out the right window and see about 20 sows and piglets coming in from about 200 yards away, they were making so much noise that I could hear them in the wind.

Between my blind and the neighbors property line, which is about 50 yards away is the dirt road I drove up. I'm up on a bluff and there is a steep drop down the road, also a drop going down to the meadow to the neighbors property. The hogs stop right below me about 30 yards, but the brush and trees are thick. I had opportunities on some of the larger sows between the brush and trees but figured I would wait to see if they go to the feeder.

After about 10 minutes they decide to come straight up the steep embankment towards me. Well I made a big mistake, I had on one of the T20 IR Illuminators I built so I can view them better when they were further out through my PVS-14 with 3x magnifier and Eotech. One thing I've learned, all animals can see the red glow from the IR. My problem was they came up 15 yards from me and the moon was out and I didn't need the illuminator. One of the larger sows comes up first and she freezes when she sees the red blow....crap.

I know she is going to bolt as she got all nervous. She is facing me head on, she turns her head slightly and I put the dot from the Eotech right behind the ear. Not sure why I did that, should have popped her right in the head, maybe because the neck was a bigger target. Boom, she squeals and turns, hogs are running everywhere. I get off two more shots at hogs as they were crossing an opening, but missed. I figure the sow is laying just down below, so I hike down there, looking for snakes on the way because we have seen many already. I was using the thermal to find her, nothing. No blood, no hog, nothing. I slowly move out and cross the neighbors fence and went back in quite a ways, no hog, WTF?

I was using 60gr Vmax handloads from my 10.5" suppressed .223 Wylde. Now I'm disappointed, because I've read great reports from others here.

Not wanting to give up on the load yet, I head out to my main stand, the wind isn't in a very good direction, but I figure if they come in from two of the directions I would have a chance. Right at dark I seen a lone boar coming in. He is really cautious approaching the feeder as I had drove to it earlier in the day with the ATV to fill the feeder.

He is hanging out about 15 yards past the feeder, right at about 85 yards. I figure if he was going to hang around back there for awhile, I was going to try the 60gr Vmax one more time (even though I had my 12.5" 6.8 back in the trailer). I center his neck just behind the ear, boom, down he goes. His rear legs kicked a couple of times and that was it. The bullet worked like I expected it to.

Thick shield on this boar running right up to his head. On the scale he tipped 252 pounds, not much for cutters, but a good boar overall, my largest this year. I headed home the yesterday. So really only two nights of hunting, good action. I have another group of 20+ hogs that keep hitting my feeder at the same location, as a matter of fact and hour after I shot this boar, another boar came in, and he was run off by a bigger boar, and an hour after he left, a group of 20+ hogs came in. Guess I should have just left him lay there and kept hunting lol.

155665152.jpg

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great write up Dave, nice hog. Was it a miss on the sow?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Strange, but then that is why I don't hunt hogs w a 223 and am thinking of a 308 instead of my 6.8. I just hate when that happens. You certainly have lots of good hogs there.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job there. Good looking hog sticker too.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Strange, but then that is why I don't hunt hogs w a 223 and am thinking of a 308 instead of my 6.8. I just hate when that happens. You certainly have lots of good hogs there.
I used a 45/70 and a .308 for the first half of my pig kills. Still had plenty run off with good hits.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah just less of a chance w a bad hit, is all..I eat what I kill and hate tracking.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yea but I dropped the boar above instantly with one shot of the same bullet

I think I probably hit low, with a 100 yard zero and she was only 15 yards or so on the shot, you know how it goes sometimes, after awhile you can't remember exactly where you had the dot or crosshairs

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah that close we forget sometimes when thing happen quickly.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
One of the problems I have with loading hogs in my ATV trailer, even though it has a tilt bed, is getting them in there, my body is so weak from my MS, even if I can slide them up in there, I can't tilt the bed back up.

So I picked up a hand winch from Harbor Freight that has a hook on the base that slips right in on the front of the ATV trailer, made it easy to get it up in there:

medium.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice, I carry a come-along to get things loaded and vehicles unstuck! I will have to look at one of those too.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job, Dave. Enjoyed the read. Bummer on the sow.

She is facing me head on, she turns her head slightly and I put the dot from the Eotech right behind the ear. Not sure why I did that, should have popped her right in the head, maybe because the neck was a bigger target. Boom, she squeals and turns,...

Just behind the ear, if a bit high, can end up just going right through muscle. Usually, it is enough to get the benefit of hydrostatic shock to the brainstem, but sometimes not.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job, Dave. Enjoyed the read. Bummer on the sow.

Just behind the ear, if a bit high, can end up just going right through muscle. Usually, it is enough to get the benefit of hydrostatic shock to the brainstem, but sometimes not.
Yes that's what I thought just hit muscle and the 5.56 did not have the energy to snap the neck.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yes that's what I thought just hit muscle and the 5.56 did not have the energy to snap the neck.

possibly, but I was using a 60gr Vmax bullet...which is a varmint bullet, more explosive....next time in the noggin' lol

I wish I would have turned off the IR, can you imagine 15+ hogs at 15 yards lol...but they would be out of sight pretty quick

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If u hit low on the neck with a Vmax there'd probably tons of blood as the carotid arteries and jugular veins run through there. If guess u probably hit the meat high on the neck.
I'm certainly no ballistics expert but hogs have thick skulls and a fragmenting bullet might break apart and not penetrate the skull. I'd suggest fmj, an expanding monolithic or a bonded bullet for head shots. That way u get the penetration needed to crack the skull.
Great lookin pig though btw! I wish Ida gotten my 250 pounder this past hunt.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

By 'snap the neck,' you mean to break the neck?

I'm certainly no ballistics expert but hogs have thick skulls and a fragmenting bullet might break apart and not penetrate the skull.

You know, the only place a hog has a particularly thick skull is the upper rearward portion of it. It takes a LOT of the muscul0-skeletal support of the entire head there, and to use it as a tool as for pasture plowing. So you are right that fragments would not be expected to penetrate it, certainly not there.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Most of my hogs have been killed using a 60 grain Nosler BT. I've never lost one with this load when I head shoot them. My largest boar was 277 pounds and fell to two in the body and one to the head. BRD's big boar fell to one 55 grain Winchester silvertip shot behind the shoulder angled forward. I find that I have better luck with the 223 because I know I have to place the bullet exactly. When I used my larger caliber weapons I assumed I could shoot them anywhere. NOT

Great job Dave

81police

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
fine job on that boar, you shanked em!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
there was no blood, and I even looked for the hog the next morning, figure with a 100 yard zero and shot at 15 yards, the bullet will hit lower, possibly I hit really low, but considering the angle, figured then it would still go in the chest, don't know, without the hog will never know

dehoganator

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
What a nice hunt, and you got more "I can't believe that" moments. Another thing hogs are good at producing.
Some hogs just can take more than others or its slightly off placed shots. Even like your boar, that shot looked a tad bit back, but the exact reason I ran v-max when I was using 556.
Cool story.