Gen 2 vs 3 longevity??

Tmm

LSB Member
was having a conversation yesterday about gen 2 vs 3 and lifespan came up. Guy was explaining that gen 2 has about half of the usable life of gen 3. Was explaining after X number of hours, the older tubes would begin to lose usefulness, while gen 3 would continue to maintain for almost twice as long. My take was this..... any gen 3 I2 would last twice as long, or better as gen 2 , before the tubes needed to be replaced . Is that accurate? Does anybody have first hand knowledge about this ? I've been told, and read, differently before. Hard to say what is accurate when everyone is trying to sell you something......

znztivguy

LSB Member
I've heard the same about Gen 2 and Gen 3 products. Unlike in military use...90 percent of us even heavy users would probably never reach the point where the intensifier will fail due to use. Usually its the complimentary stuff surrounding that fail, like the motherboard, cables, etc.
Depending on what product you use, design and buffering also play a great deal in how long the optic is going to last. If you buy from a reputable dealer newer optics come with generous warranties, and that's what I would recommend to first timers.

darrohn801

LSB Member
I just recently purchased a PVS14 Gen 3. It's my first night vision piece and I wanted to double check that as long as the unit is turned off the tube will not be damaged if it is in direct sunlight, is this correct? I also heard you should always store without batteries in there. Any other pro tips on caring for a PVS14? Sorry for hijacking your thread. :)

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use me PVS-14RC once a week so I do not take the battery out. If it will be sitting for a month or more then I do. I also replace my battery every other week regardless of its strength. We replaced our battery overseas every time we went out . If your unit gets soaked or even damp for a while take the battery out and dry it out either by sunlight or a hair dryer. I NEVER point my tube at any light intentionally. You will never see guys wearing their NV gear during the day. most tubes come with a rubber protector with a tiny pin whole in it. That is there to protect the tube and to act as a test to insure the tube works prior to going out. Keep it in place until you are ready to ise the NV. It is in a hip pouch. the mnew tubes that are auto gated are much better for that type of situation. Be careful with it. Do not drop it. Most mil outfits have a safety cord on the unit or the mount. My helmet does.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My friend has a Gen 3 that we use (abuse) a ton for the past 8 years. Hasn't had a glitch yet. To be honest it's been the most reliable easy to use nv tool in our arsenal.

chthump

LSB Member
I bought two pvs14 gen3 pinnacle in 2004, first few years got heavy use, now. 2 or 3 times a month for a few hours each outing, there still going strong, i think my eyes have lost strength ( old age, not nv use),

firemedic2000

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Let me put it to you this way. I see people still using PVS 5s from the 70s that are running great. I think myself those numbers for tube life are guide lines. Depending on how they are treated and taken care of will determine how long they last.

Now what we used in the Rangers early on probably isn't around anymore. We were hard as hell on them. Who knows though. NVGs are a lot tougher than people give them credit for being.

Unless you do something really stupid to them of coarse.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I still have my first gen 3 monocular from the late 90's it works fine still. I bought the best they had at the time , no 36lp gen 3 for me back then. I was rocking a brand new 45lp/1000 photo/16.1SN gen 3 system. LOL