Gash Back, The Unfortunate Snaggletoothed, Mulefooted Hog

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I mentioned this guy previously in the tracks thread, but thought I would share the story of his demise here. This has to be the most interesting hog I have shot, though the text is more documentary than story. It was just before Christmas in 2011...
-------------------------

2011 23 December Unusual Boar

I got a chance to hunt with a buddy of mine on his land (TBR) to help deal with feral hogs and to demo my new Pulsar N550 Digisight night and day vision scope. The scope was mounted to a Marlin 1895 .45-70.

We sat in one of his box stands that is located about 140 yards from his feeder. About an hour after we arrived and nearing the end of twilight, my body spotted a pig under the feeder and told me to shoot it. At that point, my buddy estimated the hog's weight at 150-180 lbs. Needless to say, I didn't need encouragement to shoot it.. While I could not see 140 yards with my naked eye, the scope could and did so without using IR illumination.

The pig was impacted below/behind the ribs as the pig was quartering away. This was not immediatey lethal and the hog ran off. We waited a bit and then went looking for it. First we went to the feeder where the hog was shot at in hopes of finding a blood trail There was none. We looked for fresh hog tracks and also found none. So much for tracking it.

After a brief search, we found him, we found the hog about 100 yards away from the feeder, behind trees and brush from us. The reason why we didn't find a blood trail was because the hog's bulet wound. It wasn't bleeding. There was no blood on the hog to be seen. The entry hole was found later when the hog drained a bit onto the golf cart. The reason why we didn't find his hog's track was because the hog would not be making stereotypical tracks.

So we loaded the hog in the back of golf cart. As this point, he revised his weight estimate for the hog to be at least 200 lbs. When we got it back to my buddy's barn, we took his heart girth. He turned out to be 220 lbs.

Examination the hog revealed some interesting things. First, his tusks were broken. Second, he smelled awful (my first stinky hog). Third, it turned out that the hog is mulefooted. This condition is fairly rare but maybe not all that practical. And fourth, this hog had been spied on the property for the last several months because of a specific wound. The hog was missing a large chunk of flesh over the thoracic vertebrae. The gash was oriented diagonally across the top of his back and it is still an open wound. It was because of this gash in the back that the hog could be recognized on the game camera images. He had been snacking at this property for several months, the gash never fully healing.

When we saw his wife, I won't ever forget what he said to her. They knew this hog. He said, "We got old Gash Back." She knew exactly what hog he was talking about.
--------------------

Here are some pics. There are better pics of his feet in the tracking thread. You can see the gash in his back, across the shoulders, in the game cam image.
100_1212.jpg

100_1223Gashinback.jpg

bigpigreduced.jpg

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What do you think caused the wound on his back? Did it look like a gunshot?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting, what did the wound look like and why did in not heal??

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
100_1222Gashinback.jpg

100_1225GashinBackshowingdepth.jpg

Good questions. The above game cam pic was 4 months prior and the would is visible. At the time Gash Back was killed, you can see from the closeup here that the would was still open. I don't have a picture of it, but the second image was meant to demo the depth of the missing tissue down to the wound. There was a serious chunk of flesh missing, maybe 2-3" front to back along the spine which would be the width of the gash on the surface of the back. It was like a wedge chunk was missing from the back that was about 1" deep at the still open wound.

Based on that, the notion that it was a grazing flesh gunshot wound is certainly possible. It was not a normal sort of jousting boar wound. I don't think the wound was made by a machete, hatchet, or the like because of the amount of tissue missing. That it stayed open is likely a product of the positioning. I bet every time he lowered his head, it pulled at the tissue along the back and pulled open the wound, though you think that it would eventually heal. I dunno....just guessing.

The game cam image above was the oldest pic the landowner still had for Gash Back at the time of shooting, but they had been seeing him before that.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm surprised you didn't find a more defined wound from a .45-70 initially. Good lookin' hog too.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm surprised you didn't find a more defined wound from a .45-70 initially. Good lookin' hog too.
Hogs seal back up amazingly well.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe an arrow wound, wide and gaping, heck it could have been a piece of metal he ran under. Interesting...I love the fact he was a mule foot too.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
These photos are interesting to me because they tell me a lot about this hog.
What do you think caused the wound on his back? Did it look like a gunshot?
From past experience, the wound on this hogs back indicates to me he received a gun shot wound from a high velocity bullet of small diameter. I believe it could have been a fmj shot from a .223 rifle. Fmj because there is no indication of expansion and the appearance of the shield having caused the bullet to yaw and deflect out of the hog. .223 because of the size of the wound channel.
I feel the hog was shot while in nearly the same position he is standing in the feeder photo but angled a little more broadside.
When a fmj starts to yaw or tumble in tissue it creates a wound channel very similar to this one with moderate tissue removal and tissue destruction.
Interesting, what did the wound look like and why did in not heal??
A wound such a this in a hogs shield will be very slow to heal for a few reasons.
Epithelial tissue (outer layer of skin) is very dense and avascular, more so in hogs than humans. Meaning there is very little to no blood supply to this tissue. The blood and nutrients needed to repair this tissue is supplied through the basal lamina (membrane) into the cells making up the epithelial layer. In this wound the basil membrane is missing or lacerated under the wound as determined by seeing the fatty layer which would lie underneath the basal layer. The wound would heal in time but it has to do so from the ends of the wound towards the center. Unless of course someone was to repair the basal lamina by sewing it back together.
Mention was made of this hog smelling bad. Due to the lack of visible maggots or puss at the wound site I would think infection was not likely the cause of this odor and the slow healing.
For what its worth.Just thinkin out loud.
Now don't hammer on me to hard for this post, just trying to help.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Oh no, the bad smell is a smell that I have now experienced with several hogs, usually but not exclusively boars. So you are right, it does not appear to be due to the wound at all.

And we say here, Carpe Sus!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Makes sense to me! I've found quite a few with gunshot wounds over the years. Zombie hogs!

PRyan1877

Roselle, Illinois
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It may also be that the skin was always moving being that it is over the shoulders and because the wound was wide the wound could not seal and heal its self.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It may also be that the skin was always moving being that it is over the shoulders and because the wound was wide the wound could not seal and heal its self.
Yes sir, that would certainly compound the healing time. Realize though that the shield is not to flexible to begin with but every time he would put his head down , tension would be pulling the wound open but maybe not to the extent we would imagine.
The wound has the appearance of some healing which is surprising in itself but, I would venture to bet it would have never healed totally. It's obviously a moot point now but interesting all the same.
Interesting,,, very interesting ( flashing back to Laugh In)

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter