Gas vs Piston

MNBob

LSB Member
Are most of the hunters with suppressors running a gas AR or a Gas Piston? What are the pro and cons. I am very ignorant on this?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Most are running gas because it's cheaper. The pros to a piston is reliability, there is less gas, dirt, and heat coming back to your important parts.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As TLM said most are using direct impingement guns because of cost and fewer rifles have piston systems.

Gas guns are normally more accurate and I think they are more reliable because they have less moving parts. The piston gun will stay cleaner for a longer time especially suppressed.

WhoCares

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All my hunting AR uppers are gas and are wildcat calibers but I have one 7.5" piston Upper in 223 that I use for high rates of fire like Hogans Alley training / tactical training where I might shoot 2 cases of Ammo in a day or 2. The piston Upper seems to keep the entire weapon cleaner when suppressed and I can go 2000 rounds without cleaning.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You wouldn't happen to have a 30 Sabercat would you? Since the 30 AR flopped this seems to have my interest up.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You wouldn't happen to have a 30 Sabercat would you? Since the 30 AR flopped this seems to have my interest up.
Biggdawg designed the 30 Sabercat.. from his fb page
BD's Crazy Ass Wildcats:
Bruce Finnegan
· April 10 at 7:21am
shot the sabercat a little yesterday and it is impressing the heck out of me. I was shooting the new 22" barrel and with dasher brass and a 150 hornady spbt i got 2790 fps!!! i also got 3232 fps with the hornady 110 sp very good numbers if you ask me

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You shot a Sabercat??? Can I touch ya?? My neighbor has a 30AR and he loves it. Always thought this would be a awesome pig round. How much recoil?

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You shot a Sabercat??? Can I touch ya?? My neighbor has a 30AR and he loves it. Always thought this would be a awesome pig round. How much recoil?
-
Not my report - sorry. That quote was from Bruce Finnegan - Biggdawg's facebook page for the 30 Sabercat.
We built two 24" 270AR's (6.5x47 parent case) using Krieger barrels, then 257 Bobcat and 22 Hellcat - all using 6.5x47 Lapua brass parent case..
Now Bruce is building 30 Sabercat, and uses Dasher brass, necking up to 30 cal - very near 6.5x47 in dimension.
-
Checkout -

.30 Sabercat the mad catter is back at it again - Modern Sporting Rifle Evolution
for more on Bruces wildcats.

Dennis

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been watching this for a long time. Sure wish I would have got in on the barrel order.

The only negative I see is magazine capacity.

D

djones

if you like it, it must be good. didn't the 30 herrett interest you. i think that round was created for 10" barrels. seems like it would make a great shorty. or... you could always come up with your own wildcat... the 300 OinK

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
if you like it, it must be good. didn't the 30 herrett interest you. i think that round was created for 10" barrels. seems like it would make a great shorty. or... you could always come up with your own wildcat... the 300 OinK
Good idea! Maybe a 50 cal case necked down to 30.

The loudest squeal would be you when you shot it!

Killed, butchered and cooked with only one shot!

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've been watching this for a long time. Sure wish I would have got in on the barrel order.

The only negative I see is magazine capacity.

Agreed. I have rifles built in cals 22 Hellcat, 257 Bobcat, and 270AR - all based on 6.5x47 (308 size head).
The best magazine for feeding/capacity is the PRI 6.8 mag, and max capacity is really 7 rounds.
Perfect for Deer & Yotes, for hogs 7 rounds doesn't cut it.
That is the downside to the 30 Sabercat - 7 rounds capacity.
-
Look at the 6.8 based 30 Herrett AR again - 30 round mag for my LWRC lower.
My Herrett is running 100+ fps greater velocity with 125 grn bullets than 6.8 running 120's, so more energy on target.
That speed is using Shooters World Blackout powder,, most folks are loading AA1680 powder for about 40-50 fps more than SWB -
but 1680 fouls a lot more..

So far - the hogs hate the Herrett.

************** will have a run of 18" Herrett AR barrels fall 2017. I plan to upgrade my 16" Herrett to gain another 45-50 fps speed...

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought the 30 Herrett was based off of the 30-30 case?

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought the 30 Herrett was based off of the 30-30 case?
Correct, the 30 Herrett is a rimmed case developed from 30-30.
30 Herrett AR was developed by ************** and based on the 6.8SPC case.

more info here from 68forums.com :
Many of us have been talking about this cat for years. I decided to go ahead with it since many like the 30 cal bullets and it's based on the 6.8SPC case. This cat will be very close to Marty Terweem's 30HRT. Both use available 30 Herrett dies. The only difference is in the freebore length and the trim to length of the case. 1.580 is the length to the wall, 1.570 is trim to length. The shoulder is 30 degrees. The shorter case length I use allows all of the 125 and 130gr bullets to be used correctly positioned in the freebore of the chamber. The barrels have the same 1 in 11.25 twist 5R rifling that the 308 barrels have. For plinking or volume loading the 147gr FMJs will be cheap. The 30HRT and 30 Herrett AR will push bullets apx 200 fps faster than the 300 BLK for those intending to hunt deer and hogs.
IMO this is easier to tune loads and find accuracy than the 6.8 however, this is not the best cartridge for someone just learning to reload. Best results will be seen when the case neck is turned to a consistent thickness from mouth to shoulder(especially with SSA brass). The brass shoulder needs to be sized close to the chamber size, do not just screw the resize die down to the shell holder. The brass does not have to be fireformed but maybe a good idea when loading near max charges.