Found a couple sounders

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Met a land owner last summer. Emailed back and forth about eradicating hogs for him. Got a lucky phone call Friday. Met him on his place Saturday and he drove me around his property while we got to know each other better and go over rules etc. due to his family's military background he said I could call my marine core coworker to join me bc he wanted as many dead pigs as possible. About 8:30-9:00 we found out first sounder of 2 adults, 2 juveniles and some piglets in an open lane with short grass... 3, 2, 1, bang/pew and we each drop an adult. I dropped 2 more with the pvs-14/3x/ir laser. The magazine spring broke on the 6.8 my buddy was using so he only got one shot in thy group (PRI 15 rd magazine). Then a storm came in. Then about 2:30 my buddy was getting ready to leave so I unloaded the gun I was using with night vision to take my main suppressed gun back with thermal that he was using (with a working mag!). He did one last scan and sure enough another sounder about 6-800 yards away. So I grabbed the Nv gun and After a long wet sloshy 600 yard stalk through tall grass and ankle deep water we set up as they started moving towards us. They got within 30 yards and 3, 2, 1, pew/click.. I forgot to chamber a round after unloading!! His pig drops and I chamber a round and manage to hit one. The grass was tall in this area and I couldn't see all that well to shoot but he connected on a few more. All in all 8 hogs down for the night and a happy landowner that wants us to come back soon and keep after them!! Shoulda coulda woulda had a couple few more, but that's how it goes sometimes. Eventually I'll get set up with both guns suppressed again and come up with an effecient way to record with the new ReapIR...IMG_5520.JPGIMG_0987.JPGIMG_0986.JPGIMG_5326.JPGIMG_5331.JPG

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Next time, leave those "hitches" at home. Nice outing, good hogs down. Nice work.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good stuff! Rich with UNV can hook you up recording with the Reap

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job! Sorry about the malfunctions.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
8 hogs down with malfunctions is still pretty good! Happy hunting!

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not chambering a round was my own fault :/ but I've never had a magazine spring break. That was disappointing especially bc everyone seems to give PRI 6.8 mags a lot of praise and they're **not** (edited) cheap relative to other 6.8 mags.

Considering the issues, and under better weather conditions, I do think this property will be even more productive because we only hunted the front of it and didn't drive any of it due to the wetness and the owner not wanting to rut up the roads. It was foggy, misty, humid and has been raining the past 5 days out there.

Last edited:

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not chambering a round was my own fault :/ but I've never had a magazine spring break. That was disappointing especially bc everyone seems to give PRI 6.8 mags a lot of praise and they're cheap relative to other 6.8 mags.

Considering the issues, and under better weather conditions, I do think this property will be even more productive because we only hunted the front of it and didn't drive any of it due to the wetness and the owner not wanting to rut up the roads. It was foggy, misty, humid and has been raining the past 5 days out there.

Send it in to PRI, they've been pretty good to deal with. Also try ASC mags, I've had some good success with them. And they are cheap enough to throw away after some usage. 44MAG.com - 6.8 SPC Caliber AR15 Magazines - AR15 6.8 SPC Magazine 25rd Stainless Steel ASC

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ASC and CPD mags never had one break at 1/3 the cost of pri..Nice going a good hunt and happy farmer