FLIR introduces new Thermosight

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I love my W1000 all it makes want is to live in TX and hunt hogs all weekend. In stead I get to look at deer skunks and and some big coons. Soon as back is a little better going to take it yote hunting

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And is that method where you flip the lens cap over the lens and press a button for the unit to recalibrate, then raise the lens cap before resuming? I know some other scopes use this method. They don't freeze up either, but you do effectively lose more time doing this process than what FLIR is doing, though it may not need to be done as often and can be done when the user decides.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Brian, you would make a good double naught spy!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And is that method where you flip the lens cap over the lens and press a button for the unit to recalibrate, then raise the lens cap before resuming? I know some other scopes use this method. They don't freeze up either, but you do effectively lose more time doing this process than what FLIR is doing, though it may not need to be done as often and can be done when the user decides.

No Sir! The W-1000 uses a chopper wheel to constantly refresh. You do nothing and never see it refresh or freeze

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Cool.

What's a chopper wheel?

Basically it's a wheel that spins in front of the sensor, refreshing it the entire time the unit is on. That's a big reason as to why the W-1000 is larger than most. With the wheel constantly refreshing the sensor it doesn't freeze up or need to be "nuked"

If you would like more info on it please reply on the thread in our section so that we can keep this thread on track. Sorry OP!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Does anyone here have a good video from one of these?