FLIR introduces new Thermosight

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
and great specs at affordable prices, well affordable for some

http://www.flir.com/thermoSightR-Series/

the power is adjustable, check out the prices for different powered scopes, with good resolution and 60Hz..:

click on specifications on top of link

Last edited:

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
We looked at these at SHOT Show. The starting price of these units are attractive but remember with thermal you get what you pay for. I'll try to give you a little run down of what we liked and didn't like about these units.

Likes-
Starting price point, though you aren't getting much on the lower end
VOX sensor
Display which is an LCD @ 640x480
Size and Weight
Warranty, up to 3 years on the system and a 10 year on the sensor. Nice when you're spending this kind of money

Dislikes-
The entry level is only a 240x180 with no zoom or video out
No manual focus until you get to the $7499 model
Non-optical zoom- using the zoom on the 320x240 basically makes it a 240x180
Internal battery- even though it is a Li-ion if it goes dead your hunt is over, only comes with a wall charger so no charging in the field and if the battery fails it has to go back to FLIR
No manual gain control

We believe that the $7499 model could be a good thermal scope but before we pass any judgement on these systems we are going to field test a few of these over the next couple of months. Doesn't matter what a spec sheet or great marketing says about it, whats matters is how it functions in the field

-hd

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I agree, needs some field testing before passing judgment.

I can make a charger for field use, need to find out if it will 'run' on an external power source, if not a simple converter from a small 12v battery can charge it.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Although it really stinks to have a device that eats batteries like candy, It would stink even worse to have a unit that leaves you dead in the water.
I stick with EOTech products.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Although it really stinks to have a device that eats batteries like candy, It would stink even worse to have a unit that leaves you dead in the water.
I stick with EOTech products.

lol, my Eotech died at the range the other day, with probably only 10 hours of use on it

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
what unit? My holosihgts last forever. I never turn them off I let them auto shut down, Change the battery about once a year. MY X320 goes through2 Duracells every two hours. Lithiums last longer. My CNVD-T last plenty long never timed them.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I will never own anything with an internal battery. Like Guess said, last thing you want is it go dead when you're on the hunt. Carry extras in the pocket and change them out on the fly.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
what unit? My holosihgts last forever. I never turn them off I let them auto shut down, Change the battery about once a year. MY X320 goes through2 Duracells every two hours. Lithiums last longer. My CNVD-T last plenty long never timed them.

EXPS3-0. I still use them because I like them the best as for features. My X150 sucks up batteries also, but I built an external power for it without having to swap out the batteries.

If you read the Thermosight specs, it is capable of using an external power source. Sure we'll see accessories in the future. But as I said before, the future is thermal. With a greater than 4 hour runtime, wouldn't be an issue for me, one way or another I can charge it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
lol, my Eotech died at the range the other day, with probably only 10 hours of use on it

Wow I bought my EXPS3-0 first week of January 2013 and just got the flashing low battery indicator this last weekend. So over a years use on one 123 battery. Now my older eotech that takes N batteries it goes through them pretty quick.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I've had mine since before that, but doesn't have many hours on it, but you have to realize something, its called shelf life. The drain on a battery over a given time depends on the composition and type of battery. That's why batteries have a date code on them. For my AA's in my stuff that takes AA's, I use LSD (Low Self-Discharge) batteries.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I buy Panasonic lithium on ebay for $150 for 100 of them. They hold up very well. Just ordered 100 lithium AA also. tired of paying out the behind for duracells!

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I've had mine since before that, but doesn't have many hours on it, but you have to realize something, its called shelf life. The drain on a battery over a given time depends on the composition and type of battery. That's why batteries have a date code on them. For my AA's in my stuff that takes AA's, I use LSD (Low Self-Discharge) batteries.

Mine had a ton of hours on it!!! :)

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yep, but like I said, a lot depends on what battery it was, how long it sat before it was put in the box, etc. I had to take the one out of my IR illuminator so I could finish shooting. Even though a manufacturer would say an alkaline has '10 years shelf life', what they don't say is that it only has 1% capacity left lol.

dehoganator

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The rs32 looks good to me, sure want to get one.
there are juice bars with USB charge ports with high amp hour

Last edited:

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Ben, I see they are now available, but no money for one right now

haven't seen much on reviews, but this video on sighting adjustments looks like great video

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Looked at some vids posted on Texas Hunting Forum and I have very mixed impressions. Not doubt it is an absolutely functional thermal scope. However, the picture quality isn't impressive. The auto calibrate function happens about every 20 seconds or so for the first couple of minutes until the unit warms up and that produces image freezes (probably for about 1/2 second intervals) which I could see as being problematic. You can hook up an external battery, but then you can't run video at the same time. Operation time is considerable, several hours, which is more than sufficient for most folks who don't spot through their rifle scopes.

The low end scope is rather pathetic (resolution is just too low) and when you get into the upper end RS scopes, you are getting into the price range of other thermal scopes out there and based on the videos online, have better image quality for a comparable and sometimes lessor price. In short, you aren't getting a reasonable 200 yard thermal scope for $3500, more like a 50 yard thermal...which isn't much good. Yeah, you can see stuff beyond 50, but that doesn't mean you can begin to identify it properly.

As DFWroadkill keeps telling me, so many of the manufacturers come up with some neat stuff on their units, and then make some strange decisions that really detract from the overall usability or even functionality.

FLIR moved in the right direction to come up with something of an "every person" thermal rifle scope, but they also made some strange and sometimes problematic compromises to do so.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
yep, you get what you pay for as said before....but now we are getting to where we need to, a competition market, which will bring better technology and better prices

the L3 Thermal-Eye monoculars also calibrate every so many seconds upon startup, not sure if others do the same...

Ident Marking

Rockwall, Texas
Vendor
yep, you get what you pay for as said before....but now we are getting to where we need to, a competition market, which will bring better technology and better prices

the L3 Thermal-Eye monoculars also calibrate every so many seconds upon startup, not sure if others do the same...

The W-1000 has a different method of re-cal and never freezes up!! :cool:

-hd