FLIR buys Armasight

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Do not know if I like that one. I would be willing to bet that price will go up instead of down now for a good long while!?? BANG BANG!!

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well FLIR is a monster size thermal product producer so it will be interesting to watch anyway.

Personally I like armasights current thermal line better than FLIR's commercial market stuff right now.

If I was FLIR I would move the newer Boston core into the Armasight line and maybe some High end performance FLIR software as well.

You could really take a large share of the market

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Should be good for both companies, sure will be a monster in the market

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Interesting and uh oh...

Drift

LSB Member
Well..The the advantage of Capitalism over other systems is supposed to be one company competing against another. Monopoly's have never worked out to the consumers advantage. This does not bode well. For hog hunters. On a budget. Stockholders and people in boardrooms will probably do better however.

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't forget that Armasight was a customer of FLIR using their cores in all their systems. If the "purpose" was to get rid of a competitor they would be better off to buy out another brand that didn't use their cores I would think? That would be better money spent in the long run since they made sales to Armasight every day which was good for FLIR Also.

To me it makes more sense to leverage FLIR's thermal core production capabilities mated with Armasights housing/systems (lower system cost no middle man). That would put the other Non-FLIR CORE systems using BAE,ULIS and soon to be DRS systems at a big dis-advantage market price wise since they still have a middle man to buy cores from then assemble systems.

Armasight combined with FLIR would mean lower production cost to build the same Zeus scope period. FLIR may keep prices same make more money same product with zero price increase for customers or they could leverage the buy to lower cost to the point their competitors feel the pain!

When you make the cores and assemble the systems under one roof you have market advantage my friends.

Last edited:

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm just speculating here but FLIR scopes kinda sucked, I think they will use the Armasight team to improve.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't forget that Armasight was a customer of FLIR using their cores in all their systems. If the "purpose" was to get rid of a competitor they would be better off to buy out another brand that didn't use their cores I would think? That would be better money spent in the long run since they made sales to Armasight every day which was good for FLIR Also.

I see it differently. Buying a brand that uses their core is smart. They get all the profit with minimal 'retooling' and minimal compatibility issues.

I suspect that TLM said is spot-on. The FLIR RS line had poor customer appeal to the sporting market and their high end scopes have very little appeal given product capabilities from less expensive brands like Armasight and IRD are comparable or better.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Armasight has been responsible for your new upgrades recently done, I would suggest those associated with Armisight have already proven their worth and value to FLIR which has not really entered the Sporting market as Armasight has. Seems to be a good move retaining the Armasight team as they have announced and will be a power now in the industry. I personally don't know Armasights Gov/Military business but I am assuming they are on the cutting edge of development as they are in the Sporting Market. I am thinking this will bring down costs and give FLIR/Armasight a better price point.

"The combined business line will be named FLIR Outdoor and Tactical Systems and will be reported within FLIR's Surveillance segment"

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I wonder if FLIR is getting the Armasight team of employees as well?

I sure hope they'll incorporate the Armasight display into all new scopes.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wildflower that is what the announcement says, without the "team" the purchase would be worthless

Hunt TXHogs

LSB Member
Now that the FLiR Thermosight is possibly going to be phased out due to a buyout , who is going to replace it as the Fugliest scope on the market???

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My scope resembles that remark ;)

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As Terry said "He says it reminds him of a old girl friend from college. The Apex isn't much to look at, but after it gets dark the performance really surprises you. LOL"
Pertinent quote

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I see these other companies as niche players who will continue to do well. I see ATN as the biggest loser trying to market to the masses with chinese scopes. As FLIRASIGHT gets going they will market a very good comsumer line with the new smaller cheaper core as well as the great offerings the Armasight has today and their team keeps improving. All this does is make the market better especially for us, the consumer.