Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
yes it was a foxpro

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What is the cheapest way to get into a Foxpro unit Glenn, are there refurbed units? Used older models? My Social Security does not go far enough for retail...Thanks.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMO......Just so everyone understands,to get em' in that quick,you gotta know exactly where they are/will be,or be extremely lucky.

Question: Have you found that hogs are somewhat like coyotes in that they can get "call shy" ?? Do you either switch up your calls ..... or move to different areas when using the same calling sounds ??

Great vid,thanks for sharing.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Guess, just wanted to share a pic of my little Fox Pro. I have had this unit since 1993(~). I got this to use when hunting and guiding in Maine. Motor driven calls were no good when the temps got <15deg above. This one is set up for coyotes,bobcats,and crows. I used to guide crow hunters and this caller along with the "normal" crow sounds also has a "dying crow" selection. It would bring 'em back in even after their buds were flopping around on the ground.

This caller has 16 different calls which was unbelieveable for the day. It has some "dying whatever" sounds on it that were not normal to the extreme NW. It still would draw in the yotes,bobcats,fisher,and the ocasional black bear. Also redtail hawks and bald eagles.

Please tell the Fox Pro people that they made this call too indestructable. The longivity of the little unit has kept me from buying the newer and better FP's. --- pruhdlrDSC00991.JPG

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Frank, the cheapest way to get into one is the classifieds especially this time of year.
pruhdlr,
I remember those as well. I was involved when they started coming out with the new and improved models. First coyotes killed with the fx3 were killed hunting with me. And If I'm not mistaken it was the first called coyotes the foxpro guys ever killed. I got to be the first on many new toys. They do have a good product.

Now let me be clear before anyone runs out and buys a new e-caller for hogs. If you are not already successful at finding and killing hogs, your not likely to be able to go out and do it. You might get "Lucky". Personally I don't believe in luck. It's a blessing from God.

If you haven't seen my callin all hogs seminar on youtube you need to watch it.

It can also be done with a grunt tube some times better and some times not. It's like fishing sometimes they bite sometimes they don't.

Now as far as being lucky. It's incredible how lucky one can become when they spend 200-300 days in the field. Last year we were in the field over 300 days. I have spent 20 years studying the vocalization of hogs. How,why and where it works. Either they hear you or they don't. They come or they don't. Just like calling any animal. Anytime you are calling an animal everything needs to come together to make it happen there are too many variables to know why it does or doesn't at times. There will be times they run over you. Times they come slow and cautious. Times they don't come at all and times when they run away. If these scenarios haven't happened to you calling other animals you haven't called very many.

Having a hog call will not make you a better hunter. You have to be a successful hunter first, then use tools to increase your odds.

I will tell you now. I don't know all there is about hunting anything and never will. If your not learning something new every year, your either not paying attention or dead!

Oh and yes they get call shy quicker than coyotes! I have access to hundreds of thousands of acres. I move around a lot! It doesn't take long for them to forget. You also have to consider as with calling predators, the majority of the time we are killing the most aggressive first. It's takes a few days for them to be replaced. to add to that you have as many different personalities in animals as you do humans.....think about it.

Guys I'm not trying to sell you anything. I'm trying to teach you a new trick. AS far as I know I'm the only one doing this consistently. I do know others that have been doing it longer than others. I'm good friends with Gerald Stewart{johnny stewarts son} I heard him talk about calling hogs in the early 90's by accident. That sparked my interest mainly because I had trouble finding and killing hogs. We still discuss it every time we get together. I've been friends with Larry Weishuhn for years as well he has also successfully called hogs. Thing Is I've dedicated more time to it than anyone I know.

I actually cut 6 piglets out of a sow and raised two of them to study hog vocalizations. I have raised ferals in pens to study them. You can learn a lot that way.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah nothing much out there on a real sale but I will keep looking for a used unit

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I will as well. If I see one I'll let you know. Even if it has issues foxpro will fix it. I have one that we shot! GRIN

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'll put that video up as well some day.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OH NO, you did not shoot one...LOL OK but remember I am on a tight budget. Even a closeout of a model they don't make any longer would be ok

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My daughter shot a coon off of the call killed both!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey now that is funny, got a video of that??

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
yes I do! Have to do some checking to make sure I can use it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
and I bet you do! Nothing better than a dead corn robber!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I just wish I had the amount of time you have to pursue something like this. Either way something to look into if I ever find myself with too much time on my hands.

FrankT sending you a PM about a caller.

Boar Buster

LSB Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have a Flextone game call and it has some hog distress sounds on it but they have never worked for me. They are good sounds but if I was a hog I would run if I heard sounds like that. I have called hogs with a jackrabbit distress, but it doesn't work to often. I get close to hogs just because of where I hunt. I hunt thick cedar breaks and a long shot for me is 25 yards. After watching your video's I started using a grunt call just to cover my noise while stalking in the cedars. If I can get a hog to move before they see or hear me I will usually kill it. I have access to penned wild and domestic hogs and I try to mimic the sounds they make when they are feeding. I am still working on the sow tending a boar sound.
Thanks for the video's

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well Mr Wassman is sending me his Fox Pro Wildfire 1, which hog sounds do I need to get Glenn and where? Thanks

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
hard to explain how to do it, but huff huff huff etc. is as close as I can get to sow protection with grunt tube. The areas you describe are perfect for calling. Sounds like we hunt much the same. You are just a step away from making it work!
if you haven't watched the seminar video do so it may help.