First time pig hunter

Discussion in 'Hunting Stories' started by Jhop, Dec 27, 2020.

1. Jhop

Jhop LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB

I've worked as a volunteer guide on several occasions for the Texas Parks Parks & Wildlife youth hunt program. On a deer hunt in November there was one father/son that impressed me. So I talked to over with my pig hunting partner and decided I offer to take them pig hunting. So on the December 26th the hunt took place. We started off by hunting from a deer stand. We didn't see and pigs but Joseph and his father, Anthony got the chance to practice working with my Thermals. Which played dividends later on. So started a number of hours driving and scanning multiple properties. Luck with us on this bright moon night. As Anthony put his found skills to use and spotted a lone Boar on the prowl for a mate. The stalk was on as we worked out way through pecan trees trying to get a clear shot. Lucky for us the wind was in our favor but still the boar popped out of some brush about 100yards from us. Joseph quickly put my 6.8 up on the shooting sticks and whispered he was focusing the thermal. I talked him through shot placement and Joseph patiently waited for a clear broadside neck shot. Bang, the big boar dropped with a single shot to the neck. He made a great shot. I taped the pig and according to the measurements it weighed 269lbs. IMG_20201227_020746309.jpg

gshock likes this.
  2. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Attaboy Joseph !! Gonna be tough to top that one soon. Good on ya Jhop for giving that father/son team a taste of the action.

3. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

That's awesome! Way to go!

4. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

Great job introducing them to a new experience that few get to live out. Congratulations to the new pig hunter.

5. bar-d

bar-d Head Wrangler, Chief Manure Manager: Bar-D Cattle

Good stuff, kudos to all.

6. J BAR K

J BAR K Just trying to make a day. SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

That’s a heck of a pig! Good job getting them out and good job by Joseph putting that bad boy down.

7. Wellbornpapa

Wellbornpapa Grumpy old f*** SUS VENATOR CLUB

Good job! Everybody is happy except Mama, now she will have to put up with Father and Son wanting a thermal and an AR or two.

8. gshock

gshock Banned Member! SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Solid boar down!! Bet they had a good time!

9. Jhop

Jhop LSB Active Member SUS VENATOR CLUB

They were shocked at how big the pig was to say the least