First Sow & Boar of 2020 - CRD Grendel Nosler Varmageddon Ammo

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the rest of a batch of Varmageddon 90 gr. ammo from Custom Reloads of Dallas to work through and see how it does. I have shot 4 hogs with it so far and am thinking this is not the hog killing round that I am looking for at this time. That is simply because it does not penetrate all that well. This is probably the type of bullet people think of when they say that you should not use a varmint round on larger game. That is because it tends to open up and explode (come apart into countless pieces) very quickly resulting in more massive but shallower wounds. What I am seeing so far would indicate to me that they are fine for stereotypical broadside vitals shots, neck shots, or head shots, but maybe not so much for significantly quartered away shots that would require deeper penetration to hit vitals on animals the size of adult hogs. Hopefully, I can get into some coyotes and see how it does on them.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"I'm not looking through that, so, I move on..." LOL... I like how you think.

As always, shot placement is key, that second hog folded up nicely. It was obvious he was whimpering: "Mommy".

That round should make for some good 'dillo-mist... and some corn-thief balloons (short lived balloons).

der Teufel

Livin' the Dream …
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice shooting, and good work on the shot analysis!

Keep After 'Em!

J BAR K

Just trying to make a day.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don’t blame you for moving on. Pretty big mess there. I’d like to see how they do on the coyotes too. Bet that will be impressive.