First Night Hog Hunt with IR Defense Hunter MKII

Joe D

After more than a two years of unsuccessful hunting hogs at dusk and dawn with conventional rifle scopes and green flash lights, I convinced my lovely wife to let me acquire some new thermal equipment for my tenth wedding anniversary. I went on my first night time hog hunt excursion on our family ranch near Madisonville, TX last night using a IR Defense Hunter MKII mounted on a 16 inch barrel AR in 6.8mm SPC with a Thunderbeast Ultra9 Silencer. My buddy carried an IR Defense Patrol 300 Monocular we utilized for spotting that we occasionally clipped in front of a AIMPOINT T1 red dot atop a 16 inch 5.56 AR with a Silencerco Specwar 5.56 silencer. This was my first hunt ever using thermal AND silencers.

The sky was clear and the moon was at 60 percent so we could easily navigate the fields by starlight from 6:30-11 PM. Using the IR Defense, we could spot animals at 4-500 yards easily (limit of our fields). However, usually we needed the magnification of the 2.5 power lens of the IR Hunter MKII to distinguish pigs from deer at 150-200 yards.

I don't have much experience using nightvision equipment (other than a peek through some 10K+ nightvision googles utilized by Lifeflight helicopter pilots) but using the thermal felt almost like cheating. Under these conditions, the deer could see us well when we were walking around and kept about 200-300 yards away. Normally during the daytime, these same deer are very skittish and would not tolerate being within 400 yards in the presence of humans so I am guessing that was the limit of their visability under those conditions.

We saw our first boar from a distance of over 200 yards and stalked to within 50 yards before dispatching it with two simultaneous shots from our AR rifles. It probably weighed over 200 lbs and was the biggest boar I have taken to date (I have shot several dozen pigs previously during the daytime). The second 200+ lb boar was traversing a field while we were resting in a blind. I dispatched him with one shot at 90 yards as he was trotting and he dropped dead on the spot.

Just to give you a sense of the capability of this IR Hunter MKII, I shot and wounded a coyote at over 200 yards. I only had time to zero my rifle for 50 yards at the range a few days before this hunt so I'm not sure exactly where my bullets were hitting at that distance. I also dispatched two noisy armidillos. This was the most fun I have had with my pants on in quite some time.

I would like to thank all for posting in the forums. Despite living in a huge city (Houston), its hard to find folks with the capital to own this expensive, specialized equipment and dealers who have anything in stock. I would like to thank Chris Byrd at US Nightvision for his help in helping me select and acquire these two products. According to Chris Byrd, these two units from IR Defense far surpass the capability of any similar product sold to the military (FLIR) or civilians and are made in the US unlike other optics that utilize inferior Russian made components.

Attachments

• First boar shot at night.JPG
    First boar shot at night.JPG
    193.4 KB · Views: 11
  • Second Boar shot at night.JPG
    Second Boar shot at night.JPG
    171.9 KB · Views: 14
Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to ya.

With the 50 yds. zero, you should be close to "zero" again at 200 yds. with the 6.8.

Congrats on the kills, nice hogs too.

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice job Joe. I just got my Mark II and can't wait to take it out hunting. We expect to see a lot more pictures of dead hogs now.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job Joe. I just got my Mark II and can't wait to take it out hunting. We expect to see a lot more pictures of dead hogs now.
Yes, we DO. LOL

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats now that you have started hunting at night with no visible lights you will start dropping more big pigs like that.

The mark II is a great scope and you will be happy but the salesman's comment "far surpass the military the capability of any scope sold to the military." Made me laugh sounds like a used car salesman. Most of the thermals availible to civilians are really good now the pulsar are made in Russia, and maybe the atn I'm not sure on those anymore . Again it's a great scope and you will love it that comment by the salesman just made me lol.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the hogs!! Your salesman is a great comedian thanks to him for the laugh!

Joe D

I don't claim to be the expert on Thermal by any means and don't have any experience looking through different manufacturer's devices during different conditions. I just wanted the best thermal devices that I could justify spending my hard earned money.

I asked Chris Byrd several times, and he confirmed that the BAE units utilized by the IR Defense products (13 micron) produced a far superior image than $20K units that he also sold made by FLIR (17 micron technology). Byrd told me that he often tried to steer law enforcement agencies shopping thermal towards IR Defense products over similar FLIR units the military used.

The US Military has long term contracts with FLIR for thermal units at a specific price with particular specifications. FLIR has little incentive to drop prices or improve existing products. They seem to be trying to move into the general consumer market with inexpensive $300 hand held gimmicks and rather than cater to night recreational hog hunters who can afford something a step higher in cost than night vision...Not that $20K FLIR thermal units were in my budget.

If you have more questions on this, go ahead and call up US Night vision.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yeah Joe, we know all about the unit, in fact several of our listed Vendors carry them and somewhere on LSB there is a write up and review on the unit...good luck in your hog hunts