First hunt with the W1000. 5 boars, 6 coyotes.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Boar number four same thing walk right up on him rooting take the neck shot again, and another runner he only took 4 shots and made it about 40-50 yards. One hit to the neck two to the shoulder and one rear shot as he ran away.

Finally as I was going back to my truck I see another boar coming right at me down the trail. He gets close within 30 yards before he sees me he stops turns broadside and I double tap him at 25-30 yards. Again same thing takes off I hit him four more times he still runs the 20-30 yards to the fence line crosses the road runs through two fences and about another 90 yards before he falls over dead. He took 6 hits three up close to the shoulder all three complete passthroughs two gut shots and a rear shot and still ran almost 110-120 yards..... While I was taking pictures of him a sounder of six hogs came out. I did not even shoot at them I was so frustrated with these gold dot bullets. I packed up my stuff and went back to the house.

The three shoulder shots he took at 20-30 yards.

Exit side remember this gut went 110-120 yards!

Know this story is long and most wont read all of it but thought I should document fully the results with the 90gr gold dot. These were the pulled bullets that were sold to reloaders not sure if maybe they are defects or what but I wont be shooting animals with them anymore they will be target only.

Video will be added soon.

ppapago

Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Needless to say all the report I have been reading have not been good the the 90 GD. Although I have not seen much in the WT deer department. Couple years ago I was using the 120 SST on deer and it got the job done, but after a finding a separated jacket and two exit wounds from one bullet, I decided the 120 SST wasn't the best option. So this year I switch to the 110 Accubond and the results where much better with a clean entrance and exit, but these bullets are expensive. That is why I was looking at the 90 GD.

Right now I don't see ever topping the 120 SST as my hog load, unless the 270 AR is as promising as it looks. Then I am looking into the 130-140 arena at 120 speeds.
So far with deer I have had good results. Shot three this weekend and the bullet performed well and with much less damage than 120SSTs. Small sample size though and need more data.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Who is trapping on the ranch? Well did the Helo hunts seems to make the hogs hide more?

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
man those gold dots sound like they suck bad

but still sounds like a fun hunt

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Damn you, just went to the range and re sighted my Pistol for the 115 fusion or the 120sst...not taking any chances here.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Late expansion would make sense because it us supposed to be barrier blind. Meaning it can go through something like glass and still penetrate and slightly expand on soft tissue afterwards. Maybe push it faster?

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just my two cents but is the pill to hot for soft skin? Maybe a 110 gr Hornady BTHP might be a little better. Maybe the Barnes 85 gr MPG. What was the wire on the yote

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I have 200 or so 90 GD factory load, figures.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I have 200 or so 90 GD factory load, figures.
I took a look at the numbers again with the GD's and here is what I came up with.

From a 16" *** the GD factory is running about 2875 FPS
From a 20.77" 7H the GD with 30.5 AA220 is running about 2880 FPS (approx 2780 FPS from 16")
From a 20.77" 7H the GD with 30.2 Rel7 is running about 2960 FPS (approx 2860 FPS from a 16")

Between both my 16" and 20.77" I lose about 100 FPS pretty consistently across many of my loads. I don't know what kind of velocity TXLM is getting with his setup, but from all my load development AA2200 isn't the ideal powder for the GD and is about 100 FPS slower than the factory load. Alot can change with 100 FPS, but on the other hand at TXLM's ranges it shouldn't make that much difference especially on a soft target like a yote. I didn't run the factory stuff through my 20.77" because that gun eats only handloads, rifle gas can be finkey sometimes especially with light weight bullets.

But look on the bright side at least you didn't pay what SSA is charging now a days for their ammo. I am assuming you got yours from PSA when they had them. Right?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some of it, all cheaper than other loads. I was using the 120's for putzing at the range now I will use the 90's and hunt w the 120's for a bit after I run out of the fusions. Or i could trade for something else, that is why I keep enough ammo around. I think I still have 10 boxes of my favorite the SSA barnes 110TSX.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
quarter size exits. I'm just guessing but maybe it is expanding late?

Might be like my Golden Bears in 7.62x39 they do not open but the do tumble alas big exit wound

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
120SST!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep that will fix problem for sure

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Man... not good to hear this news of the 90 G.D. pill.