First hunt of harvest

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Friday a farmer we hunt for started cutting his corn field Friday. Came out tonight and nothing. All the other guys left a little before 3am but I decided to pull an all nighter. Lucky me!!!! At about 4:45 I spot a sounder of 6-7 with the W-1000 thermal. They are about 600 yards so the stalk is on. I got close enough to see them and realized they were coming my way so I stopped and set up the ambush. Lol.

The moon is down so it was dark and the stalks were to high to use my DBAL-D2 because it kept washing the PVS-24 out. So hate to wait until they were pretty close. Sprung my trap and 3 go down. I got a few shots on the others but pretty sure they made it to the woods. I will check when the sun comes up. I brought the bolt gun to try and take one at daylight. That's if they come back, they usually do.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It's now 6:40 and I just got back to the truck. Spotted 2 sows and big group of piglets at around 700 yards. This time I had to stick tight to the tree line because sun was rising. Got to about 170-180 yards and was afraid to get any closer. To bright for the PVS-24 so I took it off and hit her with the ACOG, DRT! I never got another shot because they were so close to the trees I didn't have time.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job. Gotta love when the ambush tactic works in your favor

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey at 3am why not stay till sunrise?? Good job!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice!!!!

Hey at 3am why not stay till sunrise??

Oh, I know the answer to this one. Because at this time of the year, if you started just before sunset, you have already put in over 6 hours and have seen nothing, are feeling dejected, bored, and you already have realized how pointless it will be to stay the additional hours. The conviction of these sentiments increases with how tired you feel. You can just see where the addition 3 hours could possibly make the first 6 hours worthwhile.

In short, it is an emotional response to the problem, not a logical response. Folks aren't usually thinking that the last couple of hours before dawn might also be some really good hunting as well.

Last edited:

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good move HD. I've always had the best luck the first few hours after the sun has gone down and then from 0300-sunrise. Congrats on the hogs.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice, congrats on hangin' tough. Nice reward for the efforts.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And I've had a blast giving them lip about it. HAHA!!

I didn't take pics of the sows because they were to far apart to drag together and I was tired! Here is the boar, around 220 lbs
Image_zps6b45e5b5.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey that is a l\nice one, what are you shooting to blow his lungs out on the ground??

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Very nice... whack-em and stack-em !!!

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Jason and I are out hunting tonight. First victim was a 180 lb boar all alone. Stalked to about 50 yards of him, 3-2-1 smack smack and DRT. About an hr and a half later spotted a small sounder. We made the long 900 yard walk and got with in 70 yards. 3-2-1 and when the smoke cleared 4 of the 7 didn't make it back to the woods.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job guys. Glad you got Jason out of the office for some fun.

hdfireman

Blackstone Arms
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
As we were leaving the field Jason spotted one about 180 yards away. Lone boar around 170-180 lbs. Jason pulls out his .308 Surgeon rifle that he had put a SPRS on, the SPRS is a dedicated NV 4X rifle scope. One shot and the hog dropped like a sack of taters. Over all good night, 6 down and I'll be back tomorrow

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice.

Lets see where was I ???????

Actually I was asleep. I was dreaming of hogs.

Last edited: