First hog for 2014

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
hog.JPG I've been having a dry spell when it comes to killing hogs. This past weekend I was finally able to connect. I'm trying a new load in my 223. 64 grain Nosler Bonded Performance bullet with 24 grains of tack. It is shooting 1/2" in my rifle at 100 yards. Just as we walked up to the stand where I shot a bobcat the day before this guy came walking out to the feeder. You can see the placement of the shot in the pic. He ran 25 yards and piled up. We drug him out and I recovered the bullet just under a small amount of meat on the far side. 200 pound weighed. Got 13" of penetration with a perfect mushroom. Weighed the bullet and it is 63.8 grains. May have found me a new hog round.

Now if I can figure out how to rotate pics. LOL

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job! I can not even figure out how to rotate the pictures from my phone no matter what they end up on their side. I just use photobucket for the pics now.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on a fine kill there. Looks like ya nailed him in the tough area of his hide too... and the bullet retailed that much weight. Nice work.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good job, the 5.56 did its job!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shot placement and a nice size hog.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
good job, nice hog, I've taken a couple with the 64gr Bonded, I use CFE223 powder

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks guys. It was everything I could do not to take my normal behind the eye shot, but I was testing this load. I asked the guy with me if he minded me taking the shot. He is a hand loader and also shoots a 223. He wanted to see the results too. I put the hit right were I wanted it and was surprised he went down that quick. It punched through a lot of hide, meat and bone taking the top of the heart off. I took a lot of pics and will post a write up on the results when I get a better camera to show the bullet.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
looking forward to it, I hit a hog too low in the neck with the 64gr, he took off running, took a Texas heart shot, bullet went in just below his butt hole, but it fragmented on the bone, part went out the side and part went up, hog went down. Didn't get any pics of the damage as the guts were hanging out and don't like cleaning them when that happened.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
I rotated the pic so I didn't have to turn my head sideways lol

large.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Still did not add hair on his head...LOL

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks Dave! And yes it still does not make me look any better! LOL

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
sigh

don't know how to do pictures yet

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
What did you shoot him with?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Robo, its described in my original post along with a pic.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
he is actually taller in person