First ever hunting trip coming up

Terran28

Hey guys,

I will be going to Caddo Nat'l Grassland the week of March 7-13. I have already read the regulations and hogs go out of season there on March 8. I was wondering if anyone has hunted there and if they did, what unit number did you find your hogs in? I am also going coyote hunting during the week there. My family is going and we are making it a family camping trip. My 14 year old daughter will be going out in the field with me and this will be her first hunting trip too. Any help would be appreciated guys. I have already pulled up Goggle maps and did a satellite image of all the areas and made map notations of where all the ponds are in the units too.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Be very mindful of the wind direction, pigs have a great sniffer.

Good Luck

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You'll be right up the road. I've hunted next to there but never there. But a few places around there. Google map is so champ now. Look zoom in look for trails. Is it day hunts only or is night allowed?

Terran28

Zen, I do not know. TP&W does not clearly post all info in one spot! If they could put everything you need to know on one page, that would be great, but they do not. And since this is my first time there and also taking my 14 year old daughter out for the first time with me, I would rather do during the day time. Plus you cannot bait them on TP&W land.

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If it is Texas WMA it would be pack in and pack out only during the day only. I believe you can bait just by hand though, no feeders or anything like that. I could be wrong I don't hunt public land too many restrictions.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
No hog hunting at night or baiting is allowed in the Forest.

Look under means and methods

I've hunted 15 plus years all over national forest lands in Texas.

Hogs are where people aren't(mainly laid up in thick brairs in the day) and I spend 90% of my time scouting. I find hogs thick in an area one day, they will move on and may not be back for months.

Forest lands will test a hunters ability and heart!

Good Luck.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think if you can get use to the rules and are a real scout, you can probably do very well on public land, it jus takes a lot of knowledge and walking.

TXCOONDOG

Highlands, Texas
Since every one and his brother hunts in the forest; Hogs, yotes, etc have become educated! Normal tatics don't always apply and you have to think outside the box.

I've had to crawl (hands and knees) in places that standing was impossible, and have went passed a bedded hog which jumped up. He went one way and I went the other(gets the blood flowing) .....lol

Anyway, I use the wind to my advantage and sometimes can tell how close I am to a hog.

Game cameras are legal and can do majority of work for you......Be very aware that you must conceal them well because theft will not only be an issue, but it gets expensive too.

I've used steel boxes with three or four 4-6" long lag bolts, cables, etc just for a sorry SOB to take it!

Last edited:

Terran28

I'm just hoping I run into something. Being it is mine and my daughters first time, if it comes to only one of us getting something, I will let it be her.