Finally drew blood in 2014

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Buddy and I got started about 9:30 tonight. Nothing on the first property, driving down to the 2nd spot of the night shining off of the dirt road (private dirt road, all property belongs to my buddy on the right side of the road), spotted a small sounder feeding out in the first open field about 200 yards from the road, parked the truck, hopped the fence and began the stalk. Wind was blowing out of the northwest and the hogs were due west of us so the wind was in our favor. We stalked to within 60 yards kneeled down a flipped the kill lights on. I took aim at the biggest boar in the group who was quickly realizing something was up and trotting to the right away from the sounder. Buddy said go an I squeezed off, BANG..FLOP, he was screaming but he was anchored (had to finish him with a shot to the medulla from my Glock 23), I swung back to the group and squeezed off 2 more shots, 2 more thumps but only one hog fell. I ended up getting the 2 biggest boars in the group, 150-175 lbs each. My buddy was confident that none of his shots connected. Picked those 2 up and moved on.

Still on the same property but further in, we rounded the corner into an opening approximately 10 acres in size surrounded by dense thicket on all sides. 1 lone hog standing just inside the fence line a little over 200 yards from us, buddy held the spotlight I took aim at the top of his shoulders and squeezed off BANG...FLOP, stiff as a board. Turns out this one was a Barr hog, he'd obviously been cut as youngster because there was no scar or anything, almost as if nothing was ever there to begin with. Guesstimate him around 175lbs as well, not very big bodied hogs but all 3 were really fat. Loaded him up and no further luck on that property. Ended up killing a coyote as well on the next property we tried. After that nothing was stirring on the next 3 places so we called it a night.

Me on the left, best friend since 1st grade "Colby" on the right. 2 black hogs (right and center) are boars, brownish on left is the Barr. The picture is very deceiving on their size, should have gotten a better angle. We are both shooting .223, mines built (M1 upper on Plum Crazy lower) shooting 55gr Hornady V-max factory loads, Colby's is a Remington R15 shooting 53gr Hornady V-max factory loads.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey, good hunt, thanks for posting it and the pics!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Nice hunt. Thanks for sharing.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good job. I remember my days of using a kill light. I had a lot of fun with it, but now I'm really spoiled. Good hunting!

Eddy Gein

LSB Member
Congrats & welcome to the club.

"Colby" on the right. 2 black hogs (right and center) are boars, brownish on left is the Barr. The picture is very deceiving on their size,"

OK......uh....must be another "new" Colby....cuz...uh....the one WE know....uh...aint that skinny & he don't smile????......FOR NOBODY

Vance Goodson

Hunting is my Drug!
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep it's a new Colby, not the one that's part of the forums, I'm trying to convince him to join the forums though. That could be confusing huh?:confused:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the hunt !