Finally busted my coyote cherry!

Discussion in 'Varmint Hunting' started by scrmblr1982cj8, Mar 5, 2017.

1. scrmblr1982cj8

scrmblr1982cj8 LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

After I got my 23 month old daughter down for the night, I headed to the woods to try and kill a hog. I've been putting out bait once or twice a week at two locations since mid January in hopes of attracting pigs. I put out 100 lbs of corn out yesterday morning and thought tonight would be my lucky night.

Spot 1 proved to be the gathering spot for every deer in a 10 mile radius. I counted over 50 deer in the 60 acre field. Seeing that many does made me think the hogs could not be close, so I headed to spot 2.

Spot 2 is an 80 acre parcel which was clear cut in 2007. 40 acres is farmed, and the lower 40 acres were left alone. As I pulled into the area, the cries of fighting hogs was loud enough to make the hairs on the back of my neck stand up and I got goosebumps. I made the 120 yard walk to the stand in about 8 minutes. There wasn't the slightest bit of wind, so every step was made as quietly as possible.

After climbing into the tree stand, I could tell that the corn I put out yesterday had not been touched. The hogs were in the thick regrowth to my left and were not coming out. I was getting tired and decided to scan the field with my handheld thermal one more time before heading home when I saw a coyote trotting through the tall grass. I immediately powered up the Tico clip on thermal that was connected to a NF SHV scope atop a R700 M5 in .308. The first stop she made was her last. The Hornady Superformance 150g bullet spun her around and dropped her in her spot. She wasn't the biggest coyote out there, but I've been wanting to get a coyote for years. IMG_8852.JPG

BDubbs, Jake, lonepunman and 8 others like this.
  2. FrankT

FrankT Destin FL LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY LoneStarBoars Supporter

that is a hole! well done

3. Brian Shaffer

Brian Shaffer Pro Staff Third Coast Thermal SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Outstanding!

4. theblakester

theblakester Got a black belt in keeping it real. LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

'Dat exit wound doe!!! Congrats sir!

5. RattlesnakeDan

RattlesnakeDan San Antonio Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Nice Yote!

6. Drop Zone

Drop Zone LSB Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Very nice

7. Chopperdrvr

Chopperdrvr Deep East Tx SUS VENATOR CLUB

Nice job! Congrats on your first.

8. Ratdog68

Ratdog68 LSB Official Story Teller LoneStarBoars Supporter

Ventilated!! Nice shot, congrats!

9. djones

djones Guest

well look who just got uncivilized!!

OneK likes this.
  10. Cazz

Cazz US Army Veteran, Hunting Addict SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Well done. Congrats!

11. lonepunman

lonepunman LSB Active Member LoneStarBoars Supporter

Yippee ki yi yote!

12. slim_shady

slim_shady LSB Active Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Again Congrats!

13. Andrew Wallace

Andrew Wallace LSB Member LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY

Well done!

14. Jake

Jake Bandera, Texas LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY SUS VENATOR CLUB LoneStarBoars Supporter

Great job, congrats Scram!