fathers day weekend hunts

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
went to my dads with my sisters family and took my brother in law out for his first pig(s). We spotted a boar under the first feeder, and stalked to about 65 yds. My brother in law got set up on the shooting sticks and the rest is on video.... damn pig didnt wanna die! but yes those shots did hit high on the neck..

after getting the meat on ice, we checked the next property and found a small sounder in high grass from all the rain. took us about 10 minutes to get set up to where we could both shoot at pigs. 3, 2, 1, ba-bang! 1 pig drops and the other squeals and runs under the fence and hooks back around behind us where we heard it crash in tall grass and take a few gasping breaths. I was certain we would see buzzards the next day, but we didnt... oh well. heres the one that dropped. my bro in law forgot to record.

about 4;30 am, after waiting out a storm, we hit the last bait spot for the night and saw two boars about 30 yards apart.. there wasnt much wind but when it blew, it was swirling and gusty.. and it happened to pick up and blow right at em while i was transferring my pvs-14 to my gun and they spooked and high tailed it outta there.

Night 2, i hunted alone, and my bro in law spent time with the fam. weather was bad but no lightning so i was going out. i got these two at the 3rd bait spot. i noticed the larger pig before starting to record froum about 100 yds away. theres a creek on the right and a tree line on the left giving me about a 10 yard shooting lane. I was stalking the larger further boar when the little guy walked out at about 20 yds...

After that i saw a small sounder coming to a bait spot that a deer was already eating at. i tried to get in proper position, but the deer and the hogs spooked each other and the hogs took a hard turn and ended up walking down wind of me. i would see them and lose them through the tall grass and didnt realize that thy had moved around behind me. it was a cool learning experience watching the alpha sow lead the group and smell something off (i assume me) and go from walking to trotting away while the group followed...
at the end of the night i checked two other feeders and saw a boar under each one. i took shoulder shots on both, both shots felt good but i never recovered one of the hogs and didnt find a drop of blood either.. but he ran off like he was hit and the shot felt good.. i thought i had it recorded but its not on the flash disk... heres the other recovered one.

It was a great weekend overall with 5 confirmed kills and 2 more that might be dead

Last edited:

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nothing wrong with that adventure. Congrats on the kills, and for getting another one started.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a great adventure!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats on the hog ... sounds like a great father's day.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks. Can't beat** (thanks big red dog) hunting and quality time with family!

Last edited:

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
beat

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
FUN FUN FUN!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Way to go Blake!

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Good hunt Blake. I like the pic and comment in the video it's all about the camera angle, so true.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks guys.. What do y'all think about a "camera angle thread" where u take pics of the hog looking as big as possible, small as possible, and normal? I got a few extra pics where I did that from a couple weeks ago.. Might show people that there aren't as many 3-400 lb hogs out there as some may think.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
They way I look at it, there are some that are obvious, others just show a hog with someone that looks either smaller or larger depending on the setting, angle, etc.

As an example, guess the weight of this hog?

159507186.jpg

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Shoot a picture where the hog is resting in your hand

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
The first picture I posted he is standing right next to the hog, the second pic about as close as he can get to them. Just showing the difference of photo's and how it can be really hard to tell from a picture.

How much you think that hog weighs?

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Guess. Hog is 220 plus.

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
The pic in the ground is more indicative of the true weight. Hanging pic, because of the angle and other factors make it look smaller. Pic on the ground it looks big, because it was, weight was 302 pounds. We didn't weigh the smaller hog, my guess at the time was that it was around 140, it may have been a little bigger.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The picture on the ground he looks huge. Big ears, thick legs, thick chest, big tusks. I figured there was a trick in there somewhere because of the question. lol

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Yea, I was just showing an example for the heck of it Dan. I remember posting a pic of a hog I shot that was around 130 pounds, a guy said that it was much bigger, but it wasn't lol.

I'm still hoping for a 300 pound hog, I would love a 300 pound sow like TLM and others have taken.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sampsonite! I was waay off! But yes that does go to show that pics can be decieving.
Same hog here too. And I'm bigger and taller than my dad and the hog looks bigger in the pic with me than with my dad. #110

Pardon my grossness. I had hunted all night. it was hot and rainy. I was wet sweaty and muddy. I had to hump that 210 hog into the back of the truck by myself so my t shirt was covered in nastyness and I took it off. #210 this one might be more obvious.