Fall Harvest!!

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just finishing the fall garden harvest. I brought in 2 bushels of nice bell peppers today. Last week I brought in and roasted/peeled/froze 1 1/2 bushels of green chilies. This summer I caned 150 quarts of tomatoes, 100 pints of pickled beets, 60 pints of blackberry jam, 100 pints pickled mild jalapenos, 40 pints pickled okra, 24 pints jalapeno jelly, froze 60 pints of chopped bell pepper, froze green beans, canned carrots, (don't remember how many of the last two). I froze numerous bags of Swiss chard, Put up 500 onions ( which I sold 400 of) and now the tangerines and lemons are getting ripe. There is about 500 lbs. of hog, Llama, ram, venison and I almost forgot about 50 lbs of catfish in the freezer's.

I think I am set for the winter, which lasts about 5 min. here. lol My old habits from life in Utah won't leave me.

Is this a disease? My grocery bill last month was 36.00 (mostly bottled water for the wife).

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm beginning to dabble in the dehydrated foods a little bit. I'm finding that a lot of them in the packaged foods section are pretty tasty. Now... contemplating a dehydration appliance. I already have a "Food Saver" vac-sealer. I don't have the room for a garden, nor am I home enough to tend one (with my dual locale life). So... considering a different twist.

Definitely nice to know you have what you need, to last you a spell.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Inlaws did 12000 quarts (yes thousands) of jellys and jams this fall, and made about 150 gallons of hard pear cider. My sweet tooth is set for the winter! I made 300lbs of bulk breakfast sausage, 85lbs of hamburger, and 40lbs of linked jalapino and bluecheese sausage, a mix of wild pork, venison, and beef all from our ranch. The only thing we buy is milk, cheese, and greens, mostly because we are so close to the fields and dairys its like a farmers market in the grocery store.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I grew this stuff on 1/2 acre. I also sold mucho veggies at local farmers markets. I can't figure out why I am tired. It's time to move back to the mountains.

I learned at an early age to always try to have 2 years of food storage. I guess my grand parents knew these days were coming.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Wow thats alot. I gotta ask though... No pickled garlic?

The wife and I have been trying to figure out what were going to do about a garden but our thumbs are... less than green, plus we have to fence our dogs out of it. Might have to pick your brain a little once we decide on what we are going to plant and where.

Aspp

Central California
SUS VENATOR CLUB
http://gilroygarlicfestival.com/

That cured me of pickled garlic, and pickled jalapenos, and most anything pickled. Had the shits so bad, for so long, I went to ER. Thought I got dysentery from somewhere, just turned out I was over pickled.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I had my first garden this year hope to have a better one next year. I really like the canning my own stuff. Been thinking about trying to can som pork.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have the dehydrator I make jerky in and a vacuum seal machine but limit it to deer and hog. have not had a garden in 20 years, lots of work..Congrats for staying with it.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
its nice to save all that on a grocery bill. i wish i could have a garden here but the dog just digs it up.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow thats alot. I gotta ask though... No pickled garlic?

The wife and I have been trying to figure out what were going to do about a garden but our thumbs are... less than green, plus we have to fence our dogs out of it. Might have to pick your brain a little once we decide on what we are going to plant and where.
This is the time of year you need to get serious if you are going to do it. You could already have onions, cabbage, lettuce, beets, chard, all that kind of stuff growing.
I sold all of my garlic while it was green, people went all gaga over it.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
what do you do with boiled meat or pressure cooked meat?? I want mine frozen and sorta have a aversion to canned meat products.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is the time of year you need to get serious if you are going to do it. You could already have onions, cabbage, lettuce, beets, chard, all that kind of stuff growing.
I sold all of my garlic while it was green, people went all gaga over it.

There is a slight possibility we may be moving a couple hours north in January or February plus we are waiting on baby number 3 to show up. He is due next month but is threatening real bad to show up early. Needless to say, we are kind of in a holding pattern. It will probably be next year until we are able to put any seeds in the ground.

Good news is... the ranch is closer to the hospital than our house and the house at the ranch is bigger than our house plus the inlaws are there to help us so guess who gets to go deer hunting while waiting for the baby ;).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
E, Best of luck on all that, hope you get what you want and your family is Blessed!

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Thanks Frank. We are very blessed. Best part is, even if we don't move I still have a good job and we will still be able to take care of the kids without much trouble.