Effectively hog hunting at night without nv or thermal. Revisited

marineimaging

LSB Member
I see. How long do those 18650 batteries last? The one I had used standard AAA Alkalines x3 and for the range did produce a really brilliant light but I will bet nothing like that one. I am anxious to see it at the Greet and Meet this weekend.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Not sure if anyone coming will have them. they last a long time(6 hrs?) w the 3000-5000Mah, 1 battery, always carry spares.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There are big differences in the distance these light shine, you have to be sure and get what you are really looking for. I did a lot of searching and reading to make sure I got what I was looking for. Even companies like Surefire have admitted their parts com from the same China factories. You can actually buy all the parts and put them together in a home factory and have them private labeled for you.

marineimaging

LSB Member
I have contemplated using a green light (Multiple LED) suspended from a tree or something over a scent baited area and let them come in to it which would give me time to watch and identify the alpha. I understand that green light doesn't bother them and if it is on already they should not get spooked. I only mean this a a poor mans alternative to thermal scopes. Granted you would not be able to hunt opportunistically but this would be just a modification of stand hunting for deer using corn. I am still learning the ropes though so I might be way off base.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
as long as they do not learn to associate light (any light) with gunfire you are ok.

some have learned to run from the red glow of an IR light

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
as an example, put the light up and let it run all night every night 365 days a year

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah mine operates every night if I am there or not so they don't associate it to anything but food. I never see the 300lb boars there, not sure if they are too smart or don't come into my area. I have other cams out w/o lights and they do not show them either.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Might not have any of the big boys in your area

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah I have seen them on others cams within less than a mile on the lease from me. Strange.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Must be real camera shy

LOMASA

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Very good and accurate information.

Down here, in South America, and specially in our neighbour Argentina, pig hunting at night during full moon is quite a tradition, just like in Europe. That is the reason why germans and their cousins developed the 8x56 binos. They are a bit big and heavy but for a feeder are great. For walking I prefer any good bino with good field of view, a 6x42 or 7x50 works great. Also a good scope with 50 objective will work great, and better with an illuminated dot in the reticle center.

Because of USA regulations is very difficult to find NV or thermals down here so we are very used to hunt with binos and good scopes. A small light in the barrel or ontop the scope also helps in darker nights.

As the topic starter said, your best friend is the moon...

Regards

marineimaging

LSB Member
I got this one a while back > nebo-protec-green-light-adjustable-beam-green-led-light-with-mount-pressure-switch-5631/ < from Academy a while back...
Nebo_56311.jpg

however, since Texas rules outlaw hunting at night in WMA areas it was pretty much for no reason. I do like the adjustable green lens and it mounts beautifully on any scope. Has anyone tried it and if so, how good were the results?
Replying to myself, I have not been hog hunting since before Christmas as I am still looking for a job. It seems the market Mr. Obama claims does not like old guys. I quit putting down that I was a Vietnam Era Veteran so we will see how that goes.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah just my age knocks me out, I am not gonna waste my time if they don't want folks my age so I just tell them...point is there are no jobs but service jobs here in tourist central so there is not much hope.

cincoranchhntr

LSB Member
Cinco I found the same thing as you with the ND-x. This is the light I use, same Identical to the Elusive Wildlife x250 for $149
$20.97 | Good For Hunting!UniqueFire HS-802 Cree Green light Long range Led Flashlight(1*18650) Worldwide Fast Free Shipping!

nkT, post: 23063, member: 34"]Cinco I found the same thing as you with the ND-x. This is the light I use, same Identical to the Elusive Wildlife x250 for $149
$20.97 | Good For Hunting!UniqueFire HS-802 Cree Green light Long range Led Flashlight(1*18650) Worldwide Fast Free Shipping![/QUOTE]
Frank, I bought uniquefire-hs and it is the same light. It is mounted on my .270. I am getting another one to mount on my .22 win mag for 50 yd ear shots

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yes sir, the identical light Elusive marks up...Good for you!!

Kevo

Glad to see this and thanks for the kind words about your Sightmark device. I bowhunt hogs quite a bit at night and have killed countless using high-intensity red LED lighting (not filtered but using an actual red LED bulb). I've also kill a ton with greed LED lighting but they have seemed a little more jumpy with green. Just my .02. What has never worked for me (Yes, I tried before I wised up) is blasting them with white light. That said, I have even killed a few with white light by carefully lowing the light on them and just illuminating enough to get the shot with the dimmer outer ring of the throw. Cheers!