Easter Boar in the Rain using the Zeus pro 100mm Rain mode.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Had high hopes for this weekend the farmer finally got the soybeans planted which always yields a nice crop of hogs. With all the rain he was almost a full month behind normal planting time and I guess this threw the hogs off not a single hog came into the fields Thursday-Friday. So I packed my stuff and headed south to be with the family for Easter.

With the cold front that came through I had high hopes for moving hogs, even though Mrs TLM gave me a curfew for Easter. The forecast called for rain starting around 3am and that was well after my established curfew. With my hopes still high I arrived at the ranch and opened the first gate smelling rain in the air. Before I could even make it to the first good spot it was raining hard so I just parked on a high spot where I could scan a large area with the thermal.

I did not take long before I made out a hot blob out in the field below me, I tried confirming what it was with my pvs-14, 3x magnifier and laser illuminator but the rain and fog was bouncing back way to much IR light. I grabbed the REPR turned on the 100mm Zeus and could see a large hog rooting out there. Luck was with me and the rain let up from a downpour so I moved fast and got to about 80-100 yards from the boar.

At that range the boar was fully visible but the detail from the 100mm was not coming through. Normally you can see the hairs but on this boar it was just a dim outline. Thinking it was the mist and rain I switched through the different pallets to see if they would make him stand out better and ended up choosing the RAIN pallet. He took a 165gr SST to the neck and went straight down doing the curly shuffle for a few seconds.

Turns out the reason I could not get any detail was the weeds were from knee to waist high in this field so the distortion was from looking through 80-100 yards of wet vegetation.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hey with the conditions I think the Zeus did a remarkable job. Oh and Happy Birthday!!

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Happy Birthday Lawman!! Keep up the good work.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yup that is a nice one, and he was doin a good rendition of the Curly Shuffle he was cuttin a rug!!! Very Nice and nice shot!!! BANG BANG!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Another great hunt and video. HAPPY BIRTHDAY TOO!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice tools sure make the work easier. Nice hog, and... Happy Boipday !!

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Tough hunting condition but down he goes ... thanks for posting the vid. Also HBD!

Last edited:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video And happy burrddayy!

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job in tough conditions. A lot of folks think color pallets aren't useful at all, however in certain conditions they can really help out.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great job in tough conditions. A lot of folks think color pallets aren't useful at all, however in certain conditions they can really help out.

I was one of those people from now on I will remember to cycle through them if black hot looks poor!

Terry

Texas, Land of the Free
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yep B/W for me 95% of the time. Couple times in really bad conditions various color pallets have provided the best image for me. I remember twice last year when color pallets keep me out hunting when B/W clarity really was suffering bad. Both times I had rain and cold front blowing through.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
great stuff

Shooter

Bedford, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video. That rain pallet worked well for you.

Many more curfews will be forthcoming in another 6 months or so.

Happy birthday.

dax2323

Boerne TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
How much difference did you notice between the 50mm and 100mm lenses?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

Never even got the 50mm out of the case, was only out for an hour tops. But the 50mm looks good that last video with LWRC was about half 50mm and half 100mm. I should have the comparison video out in the next day or so.

Arnold Galvan

Mckinney, Texas
That's really cool to be able to change pallets and identify the target even in bad conditions. Great video

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

The biggest difference you are going to notice with the bigger lens will be in inclement weather, bad conditions, or just simply detection range. In ideal conditions they will look pretty much the same.