DON'T Open the Bucket !!!!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Otay, we'll start this with a little tale. One of my closest friends is Roy, we go back to the mid-60s as kids. Roy is pretty big with the church version of Boy Scouts (Royal Rangers), and, his boy made it up to the equivalent of "Eagle Scout" in their ranks. We called his kid "Shuffle" since he didn't pick his hooves up much when out in the woods. "Shuffle" had a buddy (growing up) that we called "Stomp".

Besides being best of friends, we're ALMOST "kin". Roy's sister married my first cousin. Well... Roy gets a phone call one day from his niece. Being the helpful soul that she is, and knowing Roy wanted a 'coon skin cap... she calls him up to let him know there was a 'coon that'd JUST been killed by a car (blocks from his house). Roy scores himself a nice big buck pelt after he gets done skinning it. (This is spring time).

Mid-summer, Roy's tending to some things alongside of his house and finds a 5-gal. bucket setting on the south side of his house. Seeing that the bucket is bulging, and the lid appears ready to launch... he suddenly gets that "Uh-ohhh" feeling, and remembers his dead 'coon carcass... had gone into that very bucket... and has been sitting out in the direct sun... day after day, week after week, month after month ! He VERY carefully cools down the outside of the bucket with a spray of the garden hose and knows that he's only days away from a camp out with the kids. "The Bucket" finds a spot of honor in the shade for the next few days, and gets a cooling shower on a regular basis.

Being the great kid that "Shuffle" is, he listens up as dad gives him very specific and detailed "handle with care" instructions concerning "The Bucket" as they're loading the gear into the truck for the camping trip.

Once at the meeting point, "Stomp" seeks out "Shuffle" while they're unloading the truck and asks... "What's in the bucket?" "Shuffle", (KNOWING "Stomp" like he does) replies with a casual "Don't open the bucket." NOT being the right answer, "Stomp" repeats himself with "What's in the bucket???" This volley crosses the net a few more times before "Stomp" can't take it any longer... and, (wait for it) you guessed it... reaches for the bucket. "Shuffle"... well, let's say, he switched off "Shuffle" mode and started pickin' 'em up and puttin' 'em down in a big ol' hurry. "Stomp" got the seal broken on the bucket lid and got a GOOD spray of juices under pressure when the lid blew off. "Stomp" was about the only one NOT laughing at that moment... and, since he'd disobeyed the advice of his buddy "Shuffle"... had to help dig a hole to put the carcass in.

If'n yer a brave soul...and figure you're tacticool enough to pull it off (the lid, that is) without getting "the stink" on ya... I'll bet the hogs would go rootin' for that waft of soup's on... even from the covered up hole ya put it in.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like a found another job for the blackout! Opening buckets from afar! :p

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like when I forgot about fermenting corn in the backyard experience. Great Story

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

And, a fitting role for such a deserving caliber too. LOL

Sounds like when I forgot about fermenting corn in the backyard experience. Great Story

Let's see now... LIGHTLY score the lid to replicate the shape of a container of tannerite.
Place offending bucket in a spot (a good/safe distance away).
Place container of tannerite over scored lid.
Use yer .300 WTF on container of tannerite, and hope it goes off?

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well you found it's real use, killing dead things. Since it can't do so well with live things

On that note I would like to add to the stories. So in my first attempts at making hog bait I did some research, found that all you really need is corn yeast and water. Seems easy enough. So I went and bought a dozen 5 gallon buckets. A few hundred pounds of corn and some yeast packets.

Once I get everything home I start to make mash. No problem there. So after about a week I open a bucket. It's not too horrible. Smelly but not bad. I took the buckets out to a friends land where we pour them out under feeders, behind trees, out by tree stands. We did this a few times and the hogs loved it.

Well that friend sold his land so I now had a bunch of pretty worthless buckets as they all really stunk. I tried to clean the but it was no use so I threw them away.

Well some time has gone past and I start spring cleaning and wait a minute, what's this? I don't remember leaving a bucket in the shed with the lid on. Damn, that doesn't smell right either. OHHHHHHH NOOOO, I know where this bucket came from. Hmmmm now what to do with 9 month old corn mash?

Well I had drilled small holes in the top as vents and this bucket was the bottom of a bag of corn so it was only about 1/4 full when it started. At this point it was pretty full and there was no way in hell I was opening it. I called up a friend and asked if we could take it out in one of his fields to dispose of it. He said "sure, bring it over". I get there and he decides to find out if hogs like 9 month old mash. He set it out in a field and we drove about 200 yards away and he proceeded to shoot said bucket with his 30-06. Let me just say, 200 yards was not enough. In about 4 seconds we could smell it and it was BAD!!!!!!! We jumped in the truck and took off. We got back to the house and thought we were ok. Wrong. It wasn't far enough. You could smell it for a week. But I will say, the hogs could smell it too. They loved it. Still don't think I would try that again

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hmmmm... note to self... dead skunk sealed in a bucket will NOT be zestful. Bad Ju-Ju there.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
These stories are great. I had a bucket of corn and table scraps I forgot about or 8 months. I bared the gut wrenching smell and poured the black ooze in front of a game camera. The night night there were 30 hogs of all sizes eating the dirt and everything the ooze touched. Too bad it was a Monday night and I was at work.

The bait was amazing, but I don't think I can keep my stomach from turning if I do it again. 2 weeks old is my pouring limit.

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
If you go to the trouble of making mash, why don't you steam off some of the liquid before feeding it to the hogs? Just thinkin.

my friend was so mad that i just fed it to the hogs. he wants to cook it