Doe with 6.8

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
2013 doe.jpg I went out the past weekend to some hog hunting on my lease in Hallettsville. I never saw any hogs, but saw several doe and young bucks. Since I had a doe tag I decided to check my skill with my 6.8 ***. This doe came out with several others. A quick check showed her to be 267 yards from my stand. Using the Nikon Spot On with my scope I placed the rectical where it said. One SSA 110 grain Nosler Accubond Tactical load later and the kids now have some food. BTW when it's been sleeting watch you footing as my butt hit every step of stairs coming out of my blind.

Last edited:

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fresh meat, good job! Our season reopens the 15th so I will be trying for the same thing!

Wassman

Houston, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Awesome. That is about my longest kill shot with a 6.8 any further I would be thinking twice (not enough practice to ensure a clean kill).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well there is that too, I have to say over 200 would make me be rethinking the shot.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go. I bet those steps felt good. Be careful out there.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Frank T and Wassman. I have been shooting this weapon out to 300. I have a very steady rest in my box blind and felt cofident about the shot. If I don't think I can make a shot I don't send it. What I meant about the Nikon Spot On is I have been using it, and with this rifle/load combo it pretty much is Spot On. Thanks guys!

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I agree you were prepared, I have not shot mine at 300, 200 max thus my inexperience with it at that range.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
And Kit Kat you are right. It happened so fast I didn't have time to think about it. I tried to get someone to go with me, but everyone was busy so I was there by myself. Could have had a completely different outcome and I'm glad it didn't.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats, fine doe there, and a nice shot too. I hear ya... last month, I was wandering about at work and my feet went out from beneath me faster than I thought possible (packed snow, polished smooth by blowing snow). Landed on my wallet, then my hard-hat smacked next... squirted off my head and went sailing off about 40 feet. LOL Sure was glad for that hard-hat. Nuttin' but a bruise on my cheek for a while.