do or die for team OinK

D

djones

team OinK tried to stage a comeback fri night. a lot riding on this hunt... lately we’ve been lucky enough to blame our failures on equipment, but now everything was fixed. we didn’t speak of it out loud, however, the pressure to perform loomed heavily over our heads.

first spot allowed us to ease back into the game. one hog... not too easy, not too hard. barking dog, cattle, and nervous hog making his way back to the trees. with no time to spare we double teamed his ass (no scram – not what you’re thinking). i just went for a general butt shot, but OinK tends to go right for the nutz... dead center too. i may have jumped the shot... just a little.

we hoped it would slow down his escape, but even better... he turned and gave of us a gallery of shots away from the cows... well away from most of them.

so far so good. the scope didn’t black out and the superbolt didn’t blow up in my face. over the course of the night, i will blow through about eighty 100gr accubonds in the 6.8. OinK (the smarter half of the team) is shooting 125gr bal tips in a 308. i don’t recommend getting in the way of one of these.... even if you’re a dirt clod. more pics and vid on the way...

20170407_224146b_zps0jp8c01s.jpg

D

djones

so far so good. on to the next spot. several hogs took shelter from the brutal wind down in a bowl. we didn’t notice them until we were right on top of them. no need to stalk, i just shot out the window. OinK got out and shot across the front. wind was so strong i had to yell the countdown.

once again demonstrating why he’s the team leader, OinK had the advantage of mobility. don't be misled by my hesitation to shoot. while you might think i was paralyzed with fear, i was pigeon holed between the mirror and the door frame. i wish OinK would just give me instructions instead of making me learn from my own mistakes.

hey OinK... i DID hit two babies on the far shot. one crawled back down the side of the bowl. i TOLD you we should have driven over the edge of the cliff to look for it, lol!!!

20170408_004348b_zpsduwxigse.jpg

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You are right about the other baby pig. You still could have jumped off the cliff yourself and looked for it without my help. Add one more to the tally!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hey! Your getting better at moving targets.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You have redeemed yourself. Looks like fun..

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
TEAM OINK IS BACK!!!!! good shootin' and welcome back to the killing side.

D

djones

came in on three different groups, hurds in their own rights. the scientific name for this many is a cluster, common name group. wind was strong enough to creep up but the truck would surely have reflected off the moon. with so many eyes someone would have busted us. easy field to walk through though.

we made it to a center pad with structures that would hopefully disguise us. two of the groups merged and were on my side, but OinK had plenty to shoot at. waiting, waiting... wtf OinK?? omg, he’s anticipating such a massacre he decided to load another magazine. ok no problem. he’s always right in such matters, but geez how long does it take?

i keep asking if he’s ready and he doesn’t respond. figuring he can’t hear me i turn and find him reading the instruction manual on his new rifle. really? whatever, i guess we have plenty of time. after about 30 minutes i turned off the vid to save battery. another 15 minutes go by and my hogs are almost on top of me. i ask him politely to put the manual down and get his ass in gear, but noooo. he tells me we’ll shoot when he’s good and ready.

by now i’m thinking about the ebay ad i’m going to run.... free to good home – one OinK. better yet, i’ll just forget to turn the vid back on and see how he likes that. actually that backfired since i’m pretty sure i shot all the hogs and he didn’t get any. he did manage to finish off a coyote after i snuck up behind it and slit his heels with a cold steel trailmaster. put THAT in your instruction manual!

20170408_033226b_zps3vf0hyko.jpg

D

djones

now this was a cool hunt. spotted these at a safe distance and stalked up into the ferocious wind. wheat was so tall most of the hogs couldn’t even see over it. we were on a collision course with them and just decided to wait. this was going to be good. don’t know when i’ve ever got this close to hogs unless i was bowhunting or running them down!! probably not the smartest hunt to be within kicking distance in heavy ground cover but hey, i’ve got an OinK.

20170408_044944b_zpsbte0r3qr.jpg

D

djones

getting late but OinK had a nap and is on his second wind. i’m on my 2nd 4pak of monsters. wind hasn’t let up at all. actually, i think it has picked up. easy to maneuver on these hogs using a pivot for cover. got to the end and stopped to survey the cluster. who would have thought. they were done for the night and going back home. right in front of us. i managed to get to the front of the truck but OinK was on the side and couldn’t move without spooking them. wind whipped us causing lots of stray shots. at least i have a skeleton stock which helped a lot.

20170408_052546b_zpsr9lf4ksk.jpg

D

djones

it’s nothing unusual for OinK to keep me out until sunup, so i knew that going into it. but i start to get the shakes a little after no sleep, overdosing on caffeine and the pure rush of just being on a hog hunt with the OinKster. it was all i could do to keep my poop in my pants on this last hunt.

another flawless victory and i shut down the vid. i should have known better. OinK doesn’t stop until every single speck of pork is accounted for. he intentionally goes for the most hideous facial shots just to gross me out, especially on the babies.

20170408_072657b_zps7n5udiw3.jpg

D

djones

OinK, i hate to tell you this but it looks like i'm missing the vid on this hunt. it's the one where you shot those two hogs at long distance by the center. i hate that this happened. they may have been the only two hogs you killed all night. sorry buddy.

20170408_065441b_zpssn5tqb0v.jpg

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yea right, the real reason is you just shot ONE and didn't want to put up with the harassment. 24 ain't bad but if I would have helped you just a little we might have made 30.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
glad to see ya'll back in action! you just didn't know how to act with all your equipment working flawlessly! pretty good numbers dead, but i'm sure any member of the BR Gang would have had pockets full of clips on herds that big and would have given KillK much more death support!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hog killin' !!!! We likes ! Bet it feels good bein' back in the saddle once again (even facing the right direction). Good work you two.