death wish

D

djones

IMG_1556b_zpsxtjamhiu.jpg

was too anxious to get hunting with the reap and didn’t spend enough time learning its features. i struggled with ‘on the hunt’ training but managed to get cross hairs on few hogs in spite of my poor preparation.

first target was a coyote. oh yea, turn on vid out and leave it on. ok, good to go for next time. the thumb knob takes some getting used to. sometimes it seemed overly sensitive and other times i seemed to be pushing it all the way over. also not clear where i am in a menu when the menu is invoked. got into the quick menu and accidentally changed one of the options. hmm, guess i missed how to set that in the quik guide. figured it out but i sure have a lot of suggestions for making this software more user friendly for hunting. maybe some of them are already there and i just don’t know it??

D

djones

next stop i was able to try it out on a hog. tested some of the settings but there are so many that seem to work in conjunction with each other that it takes time to test everything changing one variable at a time. finally decided screw it... just go shoot a hog.

got it on vid but no sound. not sure where i missed that. oh well, not missing much. lots of wind and a bang/flop.

now something’s going to have to be done about the battery situation. changing them 3 or 4 times on an all night hunt ain’t going to cut it. guess i’ll need the battery pack. compatibility with rechargeables should be a must for this thing.

IMG_1560b_zpswttteylz.jpg

D

djones

now on to the interesting hunt. i couldn’t even begin to guess how many times people have seen one of my kill vids and asked wth is wrong with you... do you have a death wish or something? no sane person walks into the belly of the beast!! i’m in no hurry to get mauled to death, which is why i took the online shooting class from choppa; with a lab on how to shoot a 150lb pig and make him look like he’s 250lbs.

still, i don’t get all the hoopla surrounding the sus banner. i mean 250 lbs? my hogs have nutts that weigh 250lbs! now if there was a platinum banner for 300+ lb hogs, that might get my attention.

too bad this vid doesn’t have audio because there were two pairs of boars that kept fighting. it really gets your attention. i originally planned to take one of the pairs until i saw the big bull run them off. luckily i was able to get close to him. good thing too, he took two shots even though the first would have totally spanked a 250 lb hog.

IMG_1566b_zpsr29fc2co.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dandy of a porker/s. BANG BANG!!

They be motatin!!

Should have just bought the XD50 VERY VERY easy to operate if fact so easy I can even do it!!:)

D

djones

i normally use a zeus. this is a new reap ir. first hunt with it on a weapon and i didn't have the adjustments mastered. i got it for a spotter but the image was so good i decided to hunt with it. nothing wrong with the zeus (now) so i think i'll put it back on the 6.8 and move the reap back to the spotter position, at least until i get the adjustments down.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

next stop i was able to try it out on a hog. tested some of the settings but there are so many that seem to work in conjunction with each other that it takes time to test everything changing one variable at a time. finally decided screw it... just go shoot a hog.

got it on vid but no sound. not sure where i missed that. oh well, not missing much. lots of wind and a bang/flop.

now something’s going to have to be done about the battery situation. changing them 3 or 4 times on an all night hunt ain’t going to cut it. guess i’ll need the battery pack. compatibility with rechargeables should be a must for this thing.

IMG_1560b_zpswttteylz.jpg
See? That's what happens when you dump that blue cross hair... hogs start falling.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I thought is was very clear and sharp but I see no matter what you are shooting you still can't kill them when you miss so much...lots of dirt clods killed in this segment!

Taco

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
No that video looked like sun baked dog S. The image is so much better than that. Leave it to DJ to make the video look like it's shot through a pair of x ray glasses he bought from an add in the back of a Wonder Woman comic.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice hogs down!! The reap is awesome! But also $$ ... I gonna try and stripper pole that income and maybe I'll save enough money to buy one.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
IMG_6107.PNG IMG_6108.PNG Good pigs down but Contrast was too high.

Fast forward to 3 min 55 seconds of this video and you'll see me turn it down real quick and the graininess go away. Was also a very humid night so bad background image but pretty sure contrast was a big part of your clarity problem. Also sometimes the image gets too "sharp" on the "focus" if u turn it all the way up where I hunt. I do almost all the way up on that setting. And usually somewhere about 20-40% for contrast

D

djones

yes sir i do believe you're spot on. i've seen too many crystal clear vids from these units, so i take full blame for operator error. still seems like too much crap to mess with when i'm within killing distance. i only move at about one fourth the speed of you younger folks. heck i still type with two fingers!!

D

djones

tako,
rollmao_zpsaw6ivql8.gif
rollmao_zpsaw6ivql8.gif
rollmao_zpsaw6ivql8.gif

were you the kid who bought the x-ray glasses thinking you could see through wonder woman's top while you were wanking it? that explains a lot.

Last edited by a moderator:

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
yes sir i do believe you're spot on. i've seen too many crystal clear vids from these units, so i take full blame for operator error. still seems like too much crap to mess with when i'm within killing distance. i only move at about one fourth the speed of you younger folks. heck i still type with two fingers!!
Get the image set right at the beginning of the hunt and then you won't have to mess with everything again.

It gets easier pretty quick though. I don't have any experience with armasight menu but after a few hunts u should have it down 2nd nature. Congrats on the new optic!

D

djones

it really pisses me off when you use facts in your argument. but be advised, some old guys aren't as understanding as i am. BR for instance would kick your ass for such disrespect. snake would too if i asked him, but instead i'm going to ask him to pray for your troubled soul.