Coyote and Hog

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I feel like I was touched by rgilbert, and not in that good Las Vegas way either. Things just did not go right. In the end, I got the critters, but it wasn't pretty.

Went to TBR outside Montague to hunt hogs. There was still a lone boar showing up and after I arrived, I checked a couple of cameras on the way to the stand and the lone boar had returned since I had hunted there a few days ago...at 3:30 am. I had arrived at 4:00 pm. Looked like it might be a long night, and it was.

For 8 hours I watched a steady stream of deer. If they weren't eating in the food plot, they were at the "turtle pond." A couple even bedded down about 100 yards north of me for a while. Of course there were plenty of rabbits flittering around and a lone skunk. Finally around midnight, they all disappeared and I decided it was time to stretch my legs and check the other feeders.

In the field next to one of the feeders and behind a line of trees, I saw movement with my FLIR spotting scope that was too big for a coon. I got my rifle up and tracked the coyote briefly and she just happened to stop. I took her at 60 yards through both shoulders.

I checked her out, got pics, and headed back to my stand. Much to my surprise, I spied a hog at the feeder as I made my approach. I took a knee and lined up my shot, forgetting to turn the video back on. I really need an idiot switch for that. Anyway, made my first shot at about 90 yards, a tad low, going through the elbow and grazing the belly of the boar. It faltered and then ran. I fired 4 more times, hitting it in the high shoulder, ham, and one Texas Heart Shot as it turned away from me. The ham shot apparently performed a partial penectomy as I later found said part on the ground. Satisfied I had done all I could do with shooting, I switched off the MDVR which then made the tone to start recording - at which point I said bad words and questioned my own maternal heritage.

I headed back up to the house to get the cart to start my search. I soon found the hog, only partially dead. For once, there was a blood trail that I could follow. So I attempted to dispatch it with a single shot and it went down, but got up again. I then had to repeat the process, tree limbs apparently having interfered with my shot. When I turned on the flashlight to fetch the hog, I then realized the crap I was trying to shoot through, but had not noticed on the thermal.

While I did not have to cut the hog out of the thickety-brush it was in, extraction was not easy as the area was laced with vines that kept snagging the hog as I tried to drag it out.

The hog taped at about 158 lbs.

100_2110reduced2.jpg

Last edited:

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Another good hunt story. Thanks Brian. That last pic of the two together was just wrong.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice Brian, another good night hunting, you sure do stick in there for long periods...I get so bored!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, I have become an audiobook addict. When I get bored, I pop in 1 earbud and listen to either an audiobook or one of a variety of podcasts. It works well when I am in a box blind where sound really isn't an issue, where I am not depending on hearing the game.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Angry Bird took care of getting the cookies.

20141221_125712reduced.jpg

Last edited:

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Way to go. I got the pic early this morning

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
LOL, love the dry-hump shot at the end of the vid. But? Shouldn't it've been reversed? Assertive little bitch, eh? Good to see Angry Bird is back on the job (slacker)

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Ratdog68, pyramidal stacking of carcasses is an inexact science at best. I was doing good to balance the smaller critter on top. Come to find out, soft fur has certain lubricating capabilities. And yeah, AB only performed in a supervisory role.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, I have become an audiobook addict. When I get bored, I pop in 1 earbud and listen to either an audiobook or one of a variety of podcasts. It works well when I am in a box blind where sound really isn't an issue, where I am not depending on hearing the game.

Oh, and I forgot to mention, Angry Bird took care of getting the cookies.

I need to try that, i love audio books! Proud of AB!!

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Good shooting Brian. Stacking animals is never easy and it is always easier on the back to put the smaller one on top.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Maybe there should be a patch or something for the best and most animals stacked on a hog. Sus Venator Stacki club
Clearly animal stacking is a big hit!

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats! Looking forward to the video on the next one.