Coyot hunting tips

madppcs

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Hey fellas, I need some tips from you guys. I will be using my predator call for the first time on coyotes. I am using Primos turbo dog, with the mojo critter decoy. The area I plan to hunt/call is a recently logged section that is about 1/2 mile square. Its pretty clear, but there are some tree stumps, and small brush about 1-2 feet high in some areas. The area is a little hilly, but no steep hills. Visibility is good for the entire area with no blind spots. The surrounding areas is 90% forest with a couple roads.
My questions is:
Should I set the call up in the open and lure them out as far as possible? Or should I get within 100yds or relatively close to one of the treelines and give them the sense of security? What do you guys mostly do? Or what have you seen?

Ill most likely be hunting with a 308 that I have dialed in up to 600yds.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I would put it closer to the tree line. Or in a low area where I could sit on one of the hillsides. Just start the call off loud enough for you to hear, after 10-15 minutes you can increase the volume.

I think one of the biggest mistakes is calling to loud with the new electric calls. Also try to set up where the wind is blowing across the call, not in your face or from behind you. Coyotes will try to come from down wind.

Just like pigs coyotes number one defense will be their nose. But their eyes are very good wear camo and minimize movement use shooting sticks to have your rifle up and ready when they come, being predators they will detect the slightest movement.

Also you can pause the call to stop them, or squeak, or bark at them to get them to stop. If you have wounded coyote play it after you shoot especially if there is a pack. Sometimes they will stop or even come back to check on their buddy.

madppcs

LSB Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Awesome tips. I didnt know about calling to loud. Im gonna watch a bunch of Youtube videos to get some ideas as well.

Wildfowler

Mis'sippi
SUS VENATOR CLUB
So I tried some of the tips listed here by law man and dog gone it, it worked.

3:30 PM this afternoon I set my call and lure near the edge of the woods and did not turn it on full blast for the first minute or so like I have previously done. Instead I just turned it to a lower volume and only turned it all the way up to maximum volume for about a minute one time during the sit.

After 18 minutes a young coyote stopped right inside the edge of the tree line and gave me an opportunity to shoot.

270AR.

Cool!!

image_zps7cf4a73f.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Job!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One grenaded boiler room. Nice.

lonepunman

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Solid work!

I absolutely agree with the admonitions to start calling quietly. Last month, I was watching a coyote pair late at night through the thermal mono. At least 80 yards away, very quiet night. I squeezed the mouse squeaker on my forestock - they both jumped, bolted and ran twenty yards before pausing.

A louder initial sound probably would have sent them into the next county.