Carpe Sus - Mulefoot!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bob didn't' hear the shots... Gotta love the Omega!

I am surprised the hog ran as far as he did with your first shot and the third. Again, "tough critters."

Do you ever notice mulefooted hog tracks?

JPK

LOL, I think Bob has shot too much without suppressors or hearing protection in his life. I was firing and he just kept right on talking. When I finished, he had not noticed a thing.

The first mulefoot I shot in 2011 was with a .45/70 and it managed to go right about 100 yards. We had a bugger of a time finding it. There was very little blood under the feeder where I shot him and no blood trail. We saw some weird little hoof tracks and didn't think much about it at the time, until we found the hog and realized that the weird prints were his.

Since then, I have not identified tracks where I said, "Mulefoot." They can tend to be sort of triangular and not particularly hog-like on the front feet, maybe more like a poor deer print. The rear feet look like they will produce a better track, more blocky, but I am guessing that it would probably be seen as just a poor print by Joe Hunter and not recognized as being a mulefoot.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I'm with Dr. Jones. Because of you I look every time.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like the muleys are tough mothers for you, good shooting. I have never noticed one but I did shoot a boar many many years ago that had an extra dew claw on each foot. I'll find and post the photos