Carpe Freaking Sus!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Turned out to be a really long night for one hog, but was productive.

I am still working with the experimental lathed-down Hornady GMX bullets here. As the video shows, the bullet performed well enough. It is loaded a bit light on the velocity, but did some interesting damage.

On the entry side, it penetrated the shoulder blade and then broke 3 ribs underneath it from the impact, but the bullet itself seemed to have passed between the ribs. Usually when I find a bullet had hit a rib, that part of the rib is missing. In this case, all the parts were there, just broken into segments. From what I could feel, one rib was snapped in 3 different places. The soft tissue damage around the broken 3 ribs was larger than that of a golf ball, which was neat because this was directly under the shoulder blade that only had a finger diameter hole through it. The bullet continued through the body, hitting lungs and blood vessels, but then striking the body of the vertebral column and taking a chunk out of it. I figure that this is actually what dropped the hog. At this point, I think the bullet had come apart, pieces ending up stuck in the meat and at least one piece exiting after passing through the cartilage of the shoulder blade on the other side. Aside from the large hole on the entry side ribs, the bullet seemed to bore a finger diameter hole through the hog to under the skin on the opposite side where some portion of the bullet exited.

To answer Frank's question that I think will be coming, I think the bullet could have used a little more oomph, but certainly worked in this case. By comparison, I usually say that Hornady SST 123 gr. ammo can usually overpenetrate a broadside shot on hogs up to 225 lbs. Above that it is iffy and below that it is common. So this bullet performed right about in that performance envelope, even loaded light.

Last edited:

cletus

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rocked him with the gmx!I like it

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Another great and educational video. Thanks Brian for staying up all night for our benefit.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Freaking cool video Brian! I like the dirt spraying curly shuffle.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good golly Miss Molly! SMOKED 'im!! Surprised he kicked up that much w/busted spine. Tough critters.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice!!

Lancer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shot Brian!

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shooting, Sir!

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great shot placement. Saw another gentlemen pull off plastic BT on the GMX for quicker expansion. Worked more like and HP. Base of bullet passed through but fragments found in hog.

Great video and review!

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Necropsy on tongues is usually boring.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good hog down! Anchored him with that shoulder shot. Happy hunting!

Oso Grande

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The still frames when you were exploring the carcass was great!

Great shooting....

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job Brian, Can't argue w success but you are right a little more omph ... you might have a good bullet there...sure seems to do the job. I just like the mass of the 120 and 110 gr bullet I prefer.