Capturing a Swarm of Bees.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
cool, so where did they go after being caught?

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
WAY COOL!!! Free honey.:) Had a friend that had bees, I sure do miss that honey. First time he had me help with getting the honey it put me on edge just a little!!! HONEY HONEY!!! Good stuff!!

Itsazonik

Cape Coral, FL
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That's a lot of bees right there.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
The box we put them in is a nucleus hive. they will stay in there for a few months and will then be transferred into a full size hive. That step is very easy; just lift the frames out of this box and put them into the hive. They were taken about 20 miles away where there are alfalfa fields in bloom.
There were about 40,000 bees in this swarm and most of them appeared to be very young bees so it will rapidly build a full strength colony. I think this swarm came from one of my hives because they are doing very well and had to expand. I tried to get the camera right into the bees so you could get a little feel of what it is like to have them flying all around you. It is awesome.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just watch out for those Africanized buggers.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Just watch out for those Africanized buggers.
I actually got the pleasure of working with some of those last week. Only got three stings on my head before I could veil up. they were a little moody. The Africanized bees are the absolute best at honey production far exceeding the production of other species. This is the very reason they were brought to the Americas in the first place. Few people know there were Africanized bees in the southern United States about twenty years before they were released in Brazil.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I actually got the pleasure of working with some of those last week. Only got three stings on my head before I could veil up. they were a little moody. The Africanized bees are the absolute best at honey production far exceeding the production of other species. This is the very reason they were brought to the Americas in the first place. Few people know there were Africanized bees in the southern United States about twenty years before they were released in Brazil.
Yowzers... everything you see on TV about 'em is another layer of horror, like "The Birds" of old.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That was fascinating, love that stuff!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
looks like fun

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That is really cool histopicker. I bought a bee suit a couple years ago to try to get rid of some hornets that took over my carport. It still gives me the creeps to be that close to thousands of critters that all want to do me harm.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Histo can't respond, he's waiting for the swelling to go down so he can see the keyboard again.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Back in the day the guy I helped out once in awhile would charge 25 for people to come to his place with arthritis in their hands and he would sting the people in the knuckles. They would show up with a doctors note stating they were not allergic to bee stings and he would go get a couple and use these padded forceps he made up and give them one or two stings in the ole hand!! OUCH OUCH!!!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I have heard that about arthritis and bee stings, but I am highly allergic to bee sting...........pain.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bee stings for arthritis relief? New one to me.

histopicker

St. George, Utah
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Bee stings for arthritis relief? New one to me.
They call it Apitherapy. There is no scientific evidence that it works. I received no stings with this swarm, they are very docile when swarming as they have nothing to protect. I remove Hornets with a rolled up burning newspaper. Their wings melt very rapidly so they fall to the ground. Kinda like a chopper with no rotors!!

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Their wings melt very rapidly so they fall to the ground. Kinda like a chopper with no rotors!!

Poor Chopperdrvr. Pretty soon he's gonna start feelin' unloved 'round here.

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Histo's alive! Whew, we were worried about you.