Calling Hogs

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Let me give you a bit of background on me. I’ve been hunting hogs for over 20 years along with many other species of animals {predators 31+ years}. I’m not a very patient person, so I spend a great deal of time trying to figure out how to make animals come to me quick!!!!!!! I can’t stand to sit and watch feeders. I want to cover as much ground as I can and either get on targets or make them come to me quick! I wish I had a dollar back for all the gimmicks and gadgets I’ve bought over the years trying to make me something I wasn’t at the time. I always knew there had to be a way to call hogs. There had to be. Any animal that vocalizes to communicate will respond to a call. It’s just a matter of figuring out what to say and when. I had tried everything with limited success over the years and had just about given up. A strange thing happened over time and guess what I became a better hog hunter without calling. I still had the desire to call them in.
One day while listening to a boar attempting to breed a sow I discovered a few new things. For one I was unable to get to the hogs undetected, so I sat and recorded the sounds with my video camera. I also filmed many boars coming and going from many different directions. This taught me that they were responding to more than just the odor of a sow in heat. They were responding to the sounds as well. I practiced those sounds on an ordinary grunt tube, until my wife was sick of hearing it! A few weeks later as I sat in a bow stand deer hunting, I heard two boars fighting. I was able to call one of those hogs to me several times. Make a long story short I went back to the same area a few days later and killed 7 hogs by calling with an ordinary deer grunt tube.
This fueled my fire to learn more. I caught juvenile hogs and raised them. I performed a c-section on a dead sow and raised two of the baby boars. In the last 6 years I’ve learned so much from those hogs and more that it is unreal. So you see I’ve taken it to extremes. I can’t recommend that anyone else do this or even watch farm hogs because there is a difference. Not everyone can go to these extremes and I realize this. However if you pay attention to what I’m trying to tell you or watch the seminar from the world expo you might learn a few things about hogs even if you are never able to call one.
Here’s the deal on calling hogs. If you are not already consistent at finding and killing hogs on a regular basis, don’t waste your time or money buying calls. Calling hogs is not a magic trick to make you an instant hog hunter. Just aint gonna happen! Hogs calls are however a tool to improve your odds in the right situations once you’ve mastered your other hunting skills. They can be called with grunt tubes and e-callers. Very few companies offer more than squeals and feeding hogs. Neither of those sounds is going to be very product consistently. You need breeding sounds, fighting sounds, social grunts; protection sounds and as a last resort squeals. Most of these sounds can be made with a simple grunt tube. I happen to use a haydel’s grunt tube or a foxpro.
There is going to be a time when calling hogs doesn’t work at all. There will be times when they run away. And there will be times they nearly run over you! It is no different in that aspect than calling any other species of animal. For you guys that hunt multi species and try calling, you know what I’m talking about. How many of you have called to gobblers, whitetail bucks, coyotes, bobcats etc. that you could clearly see. Yet they would not respond. How many times have you done the same and had them flee the area like the devil was after them? Ah but then there are those times that they come in on a string! Those few times when it all comes together is what makes you keep doing it.
There are so many variables that affect response regardless of species it’s just too complicated to get into in one post. I will mention a few.
Hunting pressure has an impact of course.
Terrain plays a role.
And don’t forget the individual personalities of the animal in question. I know that sounds like an anti nut comment. There are as many different personalities as there are days in the week and circumstances help form the response from each individual. Often you hear this referred to as “educated” I call it “conditioned response”.
Please watch the seminar video. It will answer a lot of questions. If you have a serious interest or questions I will be glad to answer.

a little ways into the seminar I play video clips of hogs vocalizing in responce to the calling.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rYKGFbbYwbU&list=PL0et1cMOo0BCI2mEYDLtOWOW0lR6Y-Kjl

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice write up I also can't stand to sit and watch a feeder. I like to call and stalk my prey. I was an avid coyote hunter before I switched to pigs. Tried the fox pro calls many times with no success on hogs. I gave up on it but its been years since then. Ill give it another go!

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
It works. Let me know when you succeed TEXASLAWMAN. It's awesome when it does. Look me up on facebook and go to my March 2013 album to see "the boys" you wont believe the size of porky!

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I'm using a ham-a-slama from haydels, but any grunt tube will work. Rod Haydel is a dear friend so I use his calls.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
As stated,most any deer grunt tube will do. I have several that I chose for the deeper tones. Then I wrapped several layers of electrical tape around them for even more deepness in tone. The calls that are marketed as "hog calls" or "pig squealers" are IMO completely useless. The ones that I have tried demand that you make the volume waaaaaay too high in order to get the pitch up high enough for a "squeal".

As with calling other animals(the predators),if the volume is too loud it will scare the targeted animal off. What is worse,at least with cats and yotes,it trains them/educates them. Consider the size lungs that the animal has that you are trying to imitate. Start low and gradually get higher. IMO....same with hogs. --- pruhdlr

Harris hawker

LSB Member
Ok,
I went to watch the video, and almost one hour is almost worse than sitting in a stand.
I have watched your other videos and it looked like you had a digital device?
Do you have a video that breaks down the different sounds? Is the breakdown in the video link?
If so I will watch it.
A silly, but serious question, is the sound universal?
Does a northern pig understand southern pig dialect?
Since I saw your video I have been experimenting with my iphone call, but I don't think I have the right calls for it.
One wasn't labled PIG SEX!
Thanx for the help.

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
I agree 1 hour sux!
We use both grunt tubes and digital.
yes I break down the sounds in the seminar.
Hogspaniol is the same in any dialect.

The two most important sounds available are sow protection and piglet distress. I use distress as a last resort. The Most important sound that IS NOT available is boar courting sounds. easy to make on grunt tube explained in video seminar. I know it sux but you can listen and serf other stuff at the same time.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I am getting the FoxPro wildfire 1, what sounds do I need to down load for hog and are the other sonds that come on it ok or are there better yote calls? Be specific on which calls and where to get them, I an old and slow...LOL

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
you would have to go through foxpro to get them. Not sure the cost.

Now I can't remember the names of all the sounds but will list the ones i USE the most.
Hog
sow protection
sow+boar fight or courting can't remember which it is on their site as I changed the name on my call.
lil piggy.

all predators
DSG cottontail {stands for dillon South and Guess I chased down and caught the rabbit!}
Lightening jack
Adult cottontail
Bay bee cottontail
rabbit duet or cottontail duet
field mouse distress or squeak
coyote pup distress 2

I would also get all the crow sounds if you are interested in crows
crow party
crow fight
crow distress being the main ones.

Any sound found on the net MP3 or wave can be added to your call, but you have to give it numerical names to get the call to see it. I still load my sound the old way, but they have a download system for that purpose. I just aint smart enough to do it. I actually haven't tried since I got a modern PC. I tell them what I want and they load it.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thanks Glenn, I will just send to you and you can load on the SD card for me...LOL COST?? here I thought I was special...lol

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Please watch I have answered the same questions a million times over. Maybe slightly exaggerated fro effect! If you still have questions feel free to ask. This is how I know what to talk about in the next seminar..

Frank, It has come to my attention that you are "special";)

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"special" is the least of it...LOL

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
to late, already on its way. I think even I can add calls to a SD card...hopefully!

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
"special" is the least of it...LOL
Sounds like me maybe frank and I ride the short bus for special people....... Lol

Guess

Hog Zombie
SUS VENATOR CLUB
don't feel bad your in good company. I can promise you one thing NEARLY all of my teachers are surprised I can write my name!