Calling Hogs Success

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Hands down favorite hunt of the year (so far).
Brain and I had yet to see a hog in this big field we've been invited to hunt on.
Jumped in the back of the truck and started scanned neighbors property and started to laugh.
Yup big sounder.
We had a caller. Mine as well give it a try.

I am sure Brian will attach his edition of the hunt below.

Curly Shuffle

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya!! With that Creedmor I would have been lobbing them in at the fence line until I could not see them anymore!! That Creedmor will reach out there and touch them in a special way! Fun stuff! BANG BANG!!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think I like your video better. The whole event was pretty amazing. It was maybe 5 minutes or so from when we decided to set out the caller to when we started scanning to see if the hogs were going to respond. The response was just incredible. Like calling coyotes, it isn't always going to work, but it certainly can work. This is the 3rd hunt where I have managed to call in hogs, but the first time I have had a sounder show up, much less being able to watch the hogs come in from long distance.

Unfortunately, I had a dj moment. My firing pin had become gummed up and not after all that many rounds as compared to my other rifle, so I am not sure what is going on there. After I got home, I disassembled the BCG and cleaned everything and the rifle is back up to speed. I will just have to be more meticulous about maintenance on this one in the future.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good Shot there, why could the hogs following her not come on in?

I think with a caller you have a good chance of some coming to it IF they can hear it and you use the correct sound..The grunt tube they have to be very close and also with the cass creek hand held caller..I need to pull out the fox pro with Glenn's calls on it

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Frank, there were two fences between our field and the field the hogs' field. The fence on our side was simple barbed wire. The fence on their side looked to be some or of hogwire/mesh-type of fence which we didn't realize was there until we inspected it later. Apparently, there is at least one hole in it that the first hog got through and others tried, but were unable to make it or could not find the hole. The piglets weren't going through without an adult and the other adults just didn't come through. Without permission to hunt on the other properties, we were just as frustrated not being able to shoot as the hogs were about not being able to help the distressed piglets and sows they could hear on our side.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Got you, the first sow got in too much of a hurry and left the others behind or you would have had a blood bath if they were all on your property!

JPK

LSB Active Member

Unfortunately, I had a dj moment. My firing pin had become gummed up and not after all that many rounds as compared to my other rifle, so I am not sure what is going on there. After I got home, I disassembled the BCG and cleaned everything and the rifle is back up to speed. I will just have to be more meticulous about maintenance on this one in the future.

I don't know if the Omega is your first suppressor or not, or your experience shooting suppressors in general, but a suppressor makes a DI AR dirty with excess gas. An adjustable gas block to reduce gas is a help, but not a full cure. Perhaps the Gemtech adjustable BCG does better to reduce fouling, I don't know. My ARs have adjustable gas blocks, but are set up as a compromise so they cycle with decent ammo unsuppressed, which means they are still overgassed shooting suppressed, just not as much. Helps with fouling, but doesn't cure the issue.

Hope this helps,

JPK

JPK

LSB Active Member
Wow, incredible reaction to the calling. FoxPro offers some hog sounds. Might have to load a couple!

Thanks for the video allowing me to live vicariously.

JPK

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Great video from you guys. That sure shows that you can get some aggressive response to calls if the stars line up right.

ZenArchery

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Heck ya!! With that Creedmor I would have been lobbing them in at the fence line until I could not see them anymore!! That Creedmor will reach out there and touch them in a special way! Fun stuff! BANG BANG!!
Not our property. That's why we waited for them to come in...

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shot! You are very good with the videos and showing where you were etc... 2 thumbs up!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I don't know if the Omega is your first suppressor or not, or your experience shooting suppressors in general, but a suppressor makes a DI AR dirty with excess gas. An adjustable gas block to reduce gas is a help, but not a full cure. Perhaps the Gemtech adjustable BCG does better to reduce fouling, I don't know. My ARs have adjustable gas blocks, but are set up as a compromise so they cycle with decent ammo unsuppressed, which means they are still overgassed shooting suppressed, just not as much. Helps with fouling, but doesn't cure the issue.

Hope this helps,

JPK

Thanks, I have a Surefire Genesis on my other rifle and haven't has this sort of fouling issue with it even after firing twice the number of rounds. Live and learn. I do have a Syrac adjustable gas block on this rifle. Cases are ejecting at about 2:30, which is good because the Syrac doesn't adjust anymore. One of my weekend plans is to try to dissolve the carbon locking the adjustment screw so that I can get the cases to eject a bit closer to 3:30.

pruhdlr

Cantonment,Fla.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
SUPER VID !! Congratz on the kill. ---pruhdlr

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Christmas is cancelled for that sow !! Too bad the rest couldn't join her for the party.

slim_shady

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats! That was fun to watch, I admit Im pumped, the FoxPro I ordered Sat, just arrived in the mail today. The OS on my mac is too old for the software so It will be a few days before I can DL the hog sounds from work. I cant wait to get out with it.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Wow cool vid and great hunt guys. I've gotta invest in a caller.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good sow down! Haha the sow ran up to the caller and was like "OH NO!!"