Called Coyote

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well, calving season has started and the landowner asked that I keep an eye out for coyotes, not that coyotes are ever off the radar. I know there seems to be some mixed opinions on how much of a threat coyotes are to cattle. I spoke at some length about this with the landowner and he said for 10 months out of the year, they really aren't a threat, but during calving, they are and that is when he usually sees them in daylight, mixed with the cattle and going after his calves. So I started out the evening calling coyotes. Well after not being successful of getting a coyote in close, I tried to call in hogs and that is when I managed to bring in a coyote close enough to shoot.

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good shot ... 1 round KO on that guy. Happy and safe hunting to ya!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
The coyotes are actually after the fecal matter and afterbirth of the calf. It is very high in colostrum. They get a lot of calcium from it. I was told this by a cattle rancher who did not worry about them as long as the momma cow was around.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Sounds like the breakfast of champions! My guy says he has actually seen the coyotes chasing the calves. Either way, he doesn't like the coyotes and so while that isn't why he originally requested my help, it is what I do until I see hogs. :cool:

Lrtx1

LSB Member
The coyotes are actually after the fecal matter and afterbirth of the calf. It is very high in colostrum. They get a lot of calcium from it. I was told this by a cattle rancher who did not worry about them as long as the momma cow was around.

I'd say a very high percentage that is what is happening when coyotes are around cattle with new calves hitting the ground. Not saying if an opportunity presents itself a coyote won't capitalize on it but it's not a normal scenario.

scrmblr1982cj8

LSB Active Member
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice video! I'm sure that 1st shot would have finished him off had you not taken the 2nd shot.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
well you ruined that pelt lol

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Holey Coyote Batman !!! Good chootin', nice clip too. Thanks for it B.

OneK

LSB Active Member
Staff member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
My observation is coyotes are just like people. If you are by yourself your probably are not much to be reckoned with. Two of you makes your braver. Five or six and you have a gang (pack) and are a force to be reckoned with. Calves or full grown deer are easy prey are not a problem. If they kill one calf they will kill more and the more they kill the easier it gets. One of my neighbors has a high fence with high dollar whitetail deer that he raises to sell. The coyotes would burrow under the fence and chase full grown deer into a corner and take them down and eat them. It was three a week loss for a while till he buried wire along the base of the fence so they could not burrow under it. They nearly put him out of the deer business. Usually mating season breaks up the packs but not always especially if its a family unit.

Jake

Bandera, Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter