Burn got outta control

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
A large hunting ranch that backs up to the back of my dad's property has been burning lots of brush lately and one of the piles got outta control. Well, the wind blows towards my dad's property, so that's the direction the fire took off. there are dirt roads on both sides of the fence/property line. The fire dept set up there to try and prevent the flames from jumping onto my dad's place and they did a great job but the fire still jumped over and burned a decent portion of my dad's property. Thankfully none of the homes got burned.
I wonder if the animals ran away for miles and it will hurt the population on his place, or if it will push a lot of animals into my dad's neighborhood since they got ran off of the other ranch and it's low fenced between the two properties.
On a side note, I'm frustrated because that water line that was such a pain in the ass to haul out there burned holes in several parts of it and will be a while before we can cut out and recouple and fix it all after buying another 100 feet or so to replace the burned parts.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 12

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
We did a controlled burn on my friends ranch it took months for the hogs to come back.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
ours come right back, the forest service does them all the time and so does the paper company

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
This fire burned several hundred acres of land

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
our ground is much wetter and w creeks and swamps it may hold them over Texas ranch land.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Ir really depends on how much rain you get now. New growth of forbs, grasses and woody species is more tender and digestible than older more lignified plants, so it may actually attract animals if you get some rain on it.

depending on the vegetation that was there and the intensity of the fire, within a year you may not be able to tell it even burned.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
A controlled burn is a good thing. Some times they get out of hand. I saw a post from a lady in the hill country that burned her property. With no supplements the deer were a lot bigger the next year. I don't know what it would do to hogs though. Remember, years ago we had lightning strikes that took care of the underbrush. I don't think we are doing ourselves a favor by putting them out.

theblakester

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well then hopefully they get some extra rain the rest of summer/fall. About 300 acres burned and they stopped it less than 100 yards away from his house and barn. Thanks for the info guys.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    126.2 KB · Views: 4

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
That looks really bad, do they pay for the damages?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Sorry about that Blake. If you get some rain it will come back better than before. Some native grasses have to have burn to germinate. When they do it is pretty.