Burleson County PETA hog hunt

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Todd I mess with him all of time. He does the same to me. That's why we get along. I'm glad to see he's on board now.

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Well SteveR and I got out again last night to try and make up for last weekend. As we walked up to the first stand there were hogs already at the feeder and more coming down the road. We both were shooting our 6.8's this time as it was daylight. We both got a rest on a couple of trees and the count down started. I was a little fast on the count down as we have never done this before. Steve shot and then I did. Didn't matter about the count being two fast. My hog was down and took another to keep him there as I hit high. Steve's ran into some thick brush after taking a 120 SST. We sat there until dark and went to retrieve the night hunting rigs and the UTV.

After loading up my thirty pound hog that we thought was a lot larger. LOL We headed over to the spot we got busted at last weekend. We parked the UTV. I already had the ITAL on just in case. Steve takes a look down to the feeder and there are several hogs. We check the protein feeder to make sure there are not any large boars in the area. There are not any so we sneak up a little closer on the sows and piglets. This time I slowed the count down. I had shown him with the laser which hog I was targeting. At 0 we both shoot. My hog hits the ground. She was looking right at me and I hit her in the throat. I gave her another, because I'm shooting the 223 and don't like zombie hogs. Steve's hog ran into the brush. We looked for both of his hogs, but the stuff was too thick. I did not count his two in our kill counter. The sow was about 120 pounds.

All in all we had a good evening.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Better than the PETA hunt! Congrats!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
In total we saw about fifty hogs this evening. His place is so thick you only get one shot normally. If this keeps up we should have a great hunt for the lucky winner of the meet and greet.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
tactical shotgun?

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Oh I forgot. No picture or it didn't happen.
caldsow.jpg 6.8 boar.jpg

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Good size for a BBQ

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Now that I'm calmed down I can write this. Last night I went out and SteveR was supposed to meet me at the location. I get in with a plethora of equipment. I have my 6.8 for daytime and my 223 ready for night. I hear his four wheeler coming and he parks about 100 yards away. He shows up and we have a seat. About ten minutes later three fairly large hogs step out to the feeder at 156 yards. They are kind of spooky. I'm watching them through the scope on the 6.8 getting ready to end a big brown one. He CHAMBERS a round in his. They leave. We laugh and I want to kick him in his ding ding. We sit until dark. He has to work the next day so he says goodbye. I put on the night vision. He has not walked fifty yards away and a boar comes in that is the same hieght as the crank to lift the feeder. This is a BIG hog. I realize he is going to start that four wheeler any second. I scramble to get into position. He lifts his head because he has heard something off to his right. Just as I go to put the night vision on the rifle. You guessed it Steve starts the four wheeler. That thing took off like a race horse, right towards Steve's pasture. PETA Steve strikes again!

He calls me the next morning to see if I had any luck. I tell him the story. We laugh and I still want to kick him in the ding ding. He tell me he had to get up around 11pm to pee. He went out to check his corn and what we think is this hog is on it. He gets all geared up and makes a stalk to get closer. The hog is feeding away from him. He gets his night vision on the rifle. When he looks up the hog is GONE. This is one smart hog. We have sworn to try to get even this weekend.

I write this in jest as I can mess with him as much as he messes with me.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
You two are too funny, glad you have fun with it all.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Y'all didn't believe me back on the 18th.

introduction forum

"y'all don't mention any Steve stories

mums the word
BigRedDog, Jun 18, 2014 Edit Delete Report"

the internet is serious business

Oh, and we have a new scale for you guys to break

How did we break the last one?

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
PERFECT CONDITIONS

y'all better have good numbers!

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter
we don't have one that big

only 39 stone

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMGP0572.JPG I went over to the same spot as the night before and corned the feeder area about 2pm. I eased in at 6:30 and there were ten piglets on the corn. I put down all of my extra equipment and eased up to my 120 yard position. Got the 6.8 shooting 110 accubonds set up and watched for a second. The sow came out and was a lttle spooky. She turned right at me and I let her have one to the front of her chest. She ran as I hoped she would so I wouldn't be putting my scent around the feeder. I found her about thirty yards behind the feeder on the edge of a creek. When I walked up something moved. One of the piglets was protecting her. I got him too. I marked the trail so I could find her later.

I went and sat at the picnic table which is 156 yards from the feeder. About an hour later a small group of hogs came out and left just as quick. No joy that time. About 20 more minutes another group came out. These were smaller forty pound range hogs. I didn't want to waste a 6.8 on them. I stayed sitting and put my 223 SBR accross my pack on the table. I lined up a head and let it fly. Hog went to flipping around and I could hear another squeeling off to the right. I went down and had a shoot through on another I did not see. I finished that one off and drug both away from the feeder.

I sat there until 10pm and never saw big boy. Got my son and his friend to load them up and went to show Steve. He was spending quality time with the wife. We all got to do that sometimes.

Went back to the cabin and had just layed down. Steve calls and says he got the big boy. I'll let him tell that story.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Now that is shooting and stacking them up! Good going!

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
IMGP0574.JPG Went out again tonight. Steve was not able to make it. He let me hunt the pipeline. It was a zoo. All four hogs killed in the daylight with the 6.8.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
OK! You are on fire, you eat them? sure are good BBQ size, need to save one for the meetup

rgilbert

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is a wack and stack weekend. I do eat them, but since we are trying to see how many we can get I'm having to leave them on the ground in this high heat for a couple of hours. The last one I tried to clean was wormy. I agree these are perfect pit size.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great stories and a great hunt keep it coming because it sure is funny!