Bummed out.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Did not get to hunt for three weeks. Then finally last week I got to go with Alex we hunted hard and covered a lot of ground and did not see a single hog. We didn't see much of anything it was so weird no raccoons, skunks, and only 5 deer all weekend. Figured it was some weird weather or moon event. Now this weekend I went to my inlaws Thursday and Friday nights nothing not one damn hog even spotted. I did get to hunt a new 5,000 acre farm with a 100 acre spot in the middle owned by someone else. Guess were the only hogs to be found were? Yes a sounder of about thirty on the one spot I can't shoot.

So I did a little test last night I drove 20 miles scanning fields with the thermal. Not one single hog. What is going on here.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Could it be hunting pressure? My pigs disappeared a couple months ago after several extended hunts and shooting a bunch of them. Work has kept me busy and have not been able to hunt but we have kept all the feeders going and according to the game cams I now have 3 large sounders coming in every day now. A lot of the time in daylight. Hope to get to hunt Sunday.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I think the last time I got to hunt was while learning we had a squatter chosen to clutter up the White House. I need to get out of the city. LOL

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I have not been pressuring them much since the baby so the last 7-8 months. I hunted 36,000 acres last night and scanned no telling how much more. Also the 36k is in different areas with mikes in between.

sjb67

Mineral Wells, Texas
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I understand. I only have 1600 acres to hunt so they are real sensitive. When I hunt a lot they move to the neighboring properties. They always come back though since I am the only one in the area that feeds year round.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
They'll be back, they want to become famous on here.

Eddy Gein

LSB Member
DUDE they all showed up @ my place I guess?
I haven't fed em in at least a month & they are here heavier than when I was???
AND they are ornery as hell, when I come up on em on the road they get agitated to have to move & come right back when I get past em.
I started back to work in that shithole Austin on Monday so I have been leaving out of here early(5:50am) & have run into them on the way out EVERY day this week.
I thought about carrying a rifle to work but you know good & well Murphy would re-distribute them elsewhere:(.
Yesterday(Fri) I witnessed at least 15 fresh road kills of all different species on the way in yesterday.
Multiple deer & hogs as well as other small critters.
It was like Noah was calling them all in again???

Iffin you need to kill something & get a kitchen pass, holler.
I'm cooking too;),pork ribs, shickens, snausages, got some Boudin from the source a couple weekends ago when Ed & I went to eat mudbugs in Baton Rouge last weekend.
Of course there will be your fav. stuffed japs too;)
Holla holla

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I should have come out there tonight.

What a difference 24 hours can make though. I've counted over 100 hogs tonight. Of course none on any properties I can shoot them on but they will cross property lines sooner or later! Have killed several coyotes tonight though.

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Dang almost ran over some hogs going to my next spot. Don't know how many there were but it took a few minutes for them all to cross the road. It was long enough for me to get some video. But still not a single one I can shoot at yet. :(

DaveABQ

Albuquerque, NM
Anything change? Did you get a bunch of rain? You know how hogs are. Apparently there had been a ton of rain at my lease, before hogs were everywhere, wonder if it changed their patterns.

How to get out there again in next few weeks.

BigRedDog

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Vendor
LoneStarBoars Supporter

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
back story, back story, back story!

Can't leave us hangin' like that;)

That's his stage name lol :)

He's talking about his apple cinnamon moonshine.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Spice Boy: "Cinnamon Spice"?

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Anything change? Did you get a bunch of rain? You know how hogs are. Apparently there had been a ton of rain at my lease, before hogs were everywhere, wonder if it changed their patterns.

How to get out there again in next few weeks.

There was a front blowing through here last night. I figured out part of my problem. I had only been to the new ranch after dark and was scanning the fields from the roads. Well I went out there during the daylight today and found the issue. We have been in a drought now for a few years, but have received over 10" of rain in the last three weeks. Well the grass/oats and such was almost up to my chest. There could be a 500 pound hog ten yards in front of me and I wouldn't know it even with thermal. So Ill have to wait for them to cut it. Tons of sign in there though.

Afalex1

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
My places have been slow too. The orchards are not producing food right now, most of the wheat fields have been cut and bailed, and water is scarce.

I think the hogs in my area have gone to the Oklahoma side of the river. Its a little greener there and they don't get shot at during the night.

They will be back eventually. They never stay away too long and the pecans always bring them back by the hundreds come October - April.

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
There was a front blowing through here last night. I figured out part of my problem. I had only been to the new ranch after dark and was scanning the fields from the roads. Well I went out there during the daylight today and found the issue. We have been in a drought now for a few years, but have received over 10" of rain in the last three weeks. Well the grass/oats and such was almost up to my chest. There could be a 500 pound hog ten yards in front of me and I wouldn't know it even with thermal. So Ill have to wait for them to cut it. Tons of sign in there though.
how long after a field like that is cut would u say is the best time to get out there? Immediately? Few days later? A week or two later?? I'm guessing as soon as u can after they cut it

TEXASLAWMAN

Lone Star Boars Owner
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
how long after a field like that is cut would u say is the best time to get out there? Immediately? Few days later? A week or two later?? I'm guessing as soon as u can after they cut it

Anything that is just cut should be productive. When they cut rodents die, seed falls, and the cover they have been used to is gone. If its a crop being harvested like wheat, oats, corn, soybeans they will be all over it for a week or two.