bullet choice 454 Casull

normAK

I'm going to be hunting pig this spring with my Rossi 454 Casull lever action rifle. My loads for bear protection up here in Alaska are 335gr hardcast at 1950 ft/sec, but i was wondering if the Barnes XPB 250gr bullet at 2000 ft/sec would be a better choice for hogs.

The shots will be up to 200 yds.

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Welcome to the fray! Where 'bouts in the Last Frontier are ya?

I'd be inclined to use a bear load for a large hog. Especially if that bullet 'shrooms out nice and big at the speed you're pushin' it.

normAK

Thanks for the welcome...! I'm currently in Anchorage but I have lived all over the state, on and off since '68.

I always seem to lean toward the hardcast myself, but I have also had good success on hogs with Barnes in other calibers. The lighter bullet will have about 1/2 the holdover at 200 yd but the penetration of the heaver bullet has it's appeal. Thus my dilemma

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I lived in Anchor-town for six years, and have lived in Kotzebue, and Juneau as well. Been to Nome, Sitka, Ketchikan, Noatak, Barrow, Fairbanks, LOVED Kodiak... I worked on the Slope for about a decade... quite familiar with your area. Lots of snow for you this winter, I hear.