Brucellosis

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
This is a very interesting thread. Makes you wonder if yotes or other carrion feeding animal or birds could carry.
Just read dog can get it as well a marine mammals dolfins
There are so many diseases that can be/are carried by scavengers and opertunistic feeders that it is scary. Especially when you realize that most all of our worst "human" diseases come directly from animals. It really makes you realize the fragile balance that is mother nature and how sometimes the smallest action can have large effects.

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
It is ok that is just snot she is licking. That looks Like Scarlett TLM's little girl!

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't worry that pig wasn't a real animal so it couldn't have any disease. In case yall couldn't see, the pig is clearly being raised on a farm, where they make food for consumers to buy at the supermarket without actually harming any animals.... unlike cruel savage hunters that torture cute innocent animals to death and take the bloody gross real animal meat to feed their families and probably has all kinds of icky disease by shooting them in their vitals with an adequate caliber firearm while they're foraging in their natural habitat that they've lived in their whole lives freely. I swear.... These hunters and their lack of common sense... Speaking of... We need more gun laws

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Don't worry that pig wasn't a real animal so it couldn't have any disease. In case yall couldn't see, the pig is clearly being raised on a farm, where they make food for consumers to buy at the supermarket without actually harming any animals.... unlike cruel savage hunters that torture cute innocent animals to death and take the bloody gross real animal meat to feed their families and probably has all kinds of icky disease by shooting them in their vitals with an adequate caliber firearm while they're foraging in their natural habitat that they've lived in their whole lives freely. I swear.... These hunters and their lack of common sense... Speaking of... We need more gun laws
And... with that last comment... yer right to own knife sheaths has just been revoked. LOL

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
And... with that last comment... yer right to own knife sheaths has just been revoked. LOL

Ya that joke was originally just going to be about people eating food from the grocery store "where no animals were harmed" and it kinda unraveled from there. Probably doesn't help that I had just opened a letter from the NRA about gun control in Australia and Hitlery Clinton becoming president.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Yeah.... the chain was there, had to yank on it a bit. LOL

ccreyeder

Now, I know eating raw pork is a definite no go for humans, but what about feeding it to your dog? Would you do it? I've never wanted to risk it just based on gut instinct, but I've never seen any scientific evidence either way. Ive given my dogs raw deer meat, but never anything else.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use to raise greyhounds and fed them game meat all the time but I always boiled it first to kill bacteria and I never wanted them in the field to think they could eat raw meat they found or had killed.

rob072770

Lewisville NC
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I use to raise greyhounds and fed them game meat all the time but I always boiled it first to kill bacteria and I never wanted them in the field to think they could eat raw meat they found or had killed.
I knew there is a good reason to like you Frank! We are Greyhound rescue people. I have one right now Eliese is her name she is our second one . My wife would have a bunch more but not a good option due to me traveling. Just a wonderful pet or friend they are so sweet. They are the most lovable dog I have ever had. Unless you have had one it is hard to tell people how they are.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Rob, Yes they are great, I had 2 race dogs and the rest were hunters, we targeted feral dogs, yotes and jack rabbits. The most I had was 12 adults and 15 pups at a time. Most were rescues and they all lived long healthy lives. They were not allowed to eat their kills till I had boiled the meat in a huge pot

Back in the dark ages my Grand Father had them in the Rio Grande Valley and hunted with them.

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Back in the day, dad and I used to feed his little dog raw caribou/moose meat often. She lived a long/happy life (14). Now, that was Alaskan wild game meat, I don't recall hearing of issues of disease with them. In fact, part of my father's culture was to eat raw/frozen meat, dipped in seal oil (Eskimo Ketchup, as I call it). Pretty tasty that way (I must admit).

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Well I boiled to kill any bad stuff and also to train the dogs against eating their kill or other meat in a field, some could be poisoned..

Ratdog68

SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Fully understand your reasoning, and agree. My only point was that the much colder climates may add a layer of protection to the commonly eaten game. Now... bears? Especially brown bears? That's a WHOLE nudder story. I knew a guy who live in Anchorage, who shot himself a brown bear a number of years ago. He slipped with his knife while skinning it, and cut himself. The bear's blood got into his open cut, and he spent a LONG time in the hospital, nearly died from it. It may've been brucellosis he'd been infected with.

EGarza04

El Sauz, TX
SUS VENATOR CLUB
Now, I know eating raw pork is a definite no go for humans, but what about feeding it to your dog? Would you do it? I've never wanted to risk it just based on gut instinct, but I've never seen any scientific evidence either way. Ive given my dogs raw deer meat, but never anything else.

What I was taught in biology class was that there are multiple reasons for not consuming raw/undercooked pork regardless ofif it was farm raised or wild. All of them have to do with different viruses, bacteria, and internal parasites. With the latter actually being quite deadly for humans. Specifically the pork tapeworm. The larva exist in the muscle and organs. If consumed by humans or other animals they can make their way to the brain where they will create a cyst and mature into adult tapeworms. These cysts can and do kill humans. Not sure if they do this in dogs, but I wouldn't risk it.

Cooking the meat correctly or hard freezing for a week will kill the larva and make the meat safe to eat.