Brine your wild game

FrankT

Destin FL
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
LoneStarBoars Supporter
All I know is all the processors I have ever dealt with hang the animal in the cooler for a week or more before processing. I guess by using a brine I was trying a less acceptable method, it worked for me but I am anxious to try this as well for the hogs we take. Those are smoked and cooked thoroughly before eating so different than cooking Venison.

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Thought I would bump this up for those of you that eat your kills. Have not tried the dry age yet but will sooner or later. I saw that big boar taken and he said it was in the freezer, wondered how he prepaerd it.

marineimaging

LSB Member
I did this with a deer but I waited 12 hours before starting and then, to the salt I added 1 cup of brown sugar as was suggested by a friend. I kept the meat covered with briney sugar and ice mix for three days. After that I took it out, trimmed and cubed it and went straight to the freezer with oxygen free wrapping. Every package I took out and thawed was awesome without any gamey taste and a very, very mild sweet flavor which complimented the barbecue sauce for one, and the gravy on another helping. I gave the rest to a family at church who had 7 kids and they said the meat was the best they had ever had. I would not argue with the process above and just say, to each his own. Maybe leaving the meat out for 12 hours at room temp before starting the brine process might have been the difference. I especially agree with letting the meat rest and not boiling the juices inside. What temperature would you say for the roasting oven after the initial high temp searing?

FrankT

Destin FL
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I smoke mine at 200 or so for 4 hrs then into a turkey roaster at 300 for another 4.