Boxing Day Boar & Coyote

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Went hunting on a property that had been torn up by hogs a few weeks ago and thus far had only managed to see coyotes on the property. This week was starting out about the same.

I had my IR Hunter MKIII on my rifle again. To date, I had not killed anything with it. There was plenty of animal activity and the night seemed promising. I used a female coyote challenge call for several minutes after hearing coyotes in the distance and then turned off the call. A few minutes later, in came three coyotes heading for the call.

I was position on top of a ridge overlooking 200 acres of pasture with views on 3 sides. As this meant I was silhouetted, I set up next to a tree so as to not stand out so much on the ridge. However, I think the coyotes noticed me. I managed to shoot one and educate two. My search for the coyote failed and I had to turn the following day. Turns out, there were a series of ridges between the coyote and me and he was behind a particular small ridge that I did not see during my search.

Later, this hog came across the pasture on the opposite side of the hill, but pretty far out. He had passed by my position by the time I got Sow Protection running on the caller. The call seemed to get his attention (maybe) and then he seemed to lose interest and I decided I needed to shoot or let him go. Ha! He was stationary and I made a perfect shot right by his right ear....and he took of running. The next shot broke his left leg and he started break dancing around the field. In the midst of his interpretive dance, I made a solid shoulder shot along with making several unproductive shots on the hog, but killing several dirt clods. He finally went down and he turned out to be an interesting boar. I suspect there is a much larger boar in the area.

JPK

LSB Active Member
Great view through the scope. Good shooting for the distance.

One problem with great views off a ridge top is that it can go both ways without a background.

JPK

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
LSB TURKEY BUZZARD PRESERVATION SOCIETY
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Great long distance shooting Brian!

Chopperdrvr

Deep East Tx
SUS VENATOR CLUB
That hog was having a very bad day or week.

Homebrewer

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
I bet you wind up killing the Sus boar that made the gashes on your dead hog!
Congrats.

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
One problem with great views off a ridge top is that it can go both ways without a background.

JPK

You are absolutely correct. Silhouetting is an issue, but I try to minimize it by standing close to one of the thorn trees. Here is the view from where the coyote fell looking up to my shooting position. I tend to place myself right next to the tree under the arrow. It is about 8 or 9 feet tall. It tried positioning myself under the trees further up the hill, but they are all thorn trees (mesquite?). So I set up next to one so as to not stand out so much. I would try going prone, but there are sticker burrs in the grass.

X1.jpg

Here is the view from where the hog was first shot. I don't think he had any clue I was there, unlike the coyotes. All the rough area in the foreground is old rooting damage.

X2.jpg

gshock

Banned Member!
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Some good distance shooting! Congrats on the coyote and hog!

JPK

LSB Active Member
You are absolutely correct. Silhouetting is an issue, but I try to minimize it by standing close to one of the thorn trees. Here is the view from where the coyote fell looking up to my shooting position. I tend to place myself right next to the tree under the arrow. It is about 8 or 9 feet tall. It tried positioning myself under the trees further up the hill, but they are all thorn trees (mesquite?). So I set up next to one so as to not stand out so much. I would try going prone, but there are sticker burrs in the grass.

X1.jpg

Here is the view from where the hog was first shot. I don't think he had any clue I was there, unlike the coyotes. All the rough area in the foreground is old rooting damage.

X2.jpg

Better shooting for the distance than I thought, especially the hog!

Ever tried standing in front of the tree? Looks like it may have enough breadth to prevent you from being silhouetted.

In all of my hunting I have killed a grand total of four animals shooting prone. All of them were because the terrain both required and allowed it because there was no cover and belly crawling was the only way to close distance, but no obstruction to shooting prone either.

JPK

Ratdog68

LSB Official Story Teller
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice job of reaching out to touch 'em both B !! Tough hog too. 'Ol boy must've been going crazy trying to find his adversary.

BDubbs

LSB Active Member
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Congrats, Sir!

D

djones

you're pretty good. i would have needed some zoom for that shot... and probably still would only have hit dirt

theblakester

Got a black belt in keeping it real.
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Nice shoot in at farther distances! Congrats on the MKIII!

Brian Shaffer

Hog Hunter
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
you're pretty good. i would have needed some zoom for that shot... and probably still would only have hit dirt

You have to keep pressure on the dirt clods. The occasional hazing helps keep them in line. Isn't that what you teach at your gunnery school? It seems to work. I haven't been charged by one yet! :D

Nice shoot in at farther distances! Congrats on the MKIII!

The MKIII is pretty darned cool. It is taking me a bit to get used to the extra magnification. More that once, I felt a bit like Robin Hood....

Last edited:

RattlesnakeDan

San Antonio Texas
SUS VENATOR CLUB
LoneStarBoars Supporter
Haha ...don't shoot yourself in the toe!